Penn Trade Reels

Started by coastal_dan, August 08, 2016, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Quote from: Dominick on August 15, 2016, 03:05:54 AM
Okay Dan, you are correct you did start a Penn Trade Reels, so I moved it.  However, I don't know where it ended up.  Dominick

Quote from: coastal_dan on August 15, 2016, 03:10:25 AM
Weird!  I definitely would love to see the 'shelf' shot of that HI Shark, cool for sure.

I would love to see it, too.  Dominick, your HI Shark reel would fit nicely in "Fishing Antiques and Collectibles".  
viurem lliures o morirem

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike thanks for the info.  I tried researching Shark with no success.  since your post i did find similar reels made by Horrocks and Ibbotson Co.  I don't know how you do it but thanks.  Dominick

I know this stuff because I have a Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Reel Disorder. I have been told it is incurable.

George4741

Could the Penn Seagate be considered a trade reel?  To paraphrase one of our members, it is basically a Long Beach made to satisfy the rental reel customers.  See the link below:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12463.msg123133#msg123133
viurem lliures o morirem

Superhook

George,

The Seagate was a Penn catalog listed reel.

What was not listed was in the different colours they are sometimes found .  That can be said about many of the reels.

Ray

George4741

Quote from: Superhook on August 16, 2016, 04:41:59 AM
George,

The Seagate was a Penn catalog listed reel.

What was not listed was in the different colours they are sometimes found .  That can be said about many of the reels.

Ray

Alrightee, I stand corrected.  Thank you, Ray.  Strange how Penn cataloged two names for the same reel. ???

Dan, in your initial post you listed Abbey & Imbrie reels.  Were some of them made by Penn?  Some of the examples I've seen closely resemble Horrocks & Ibbotson reels.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Superhook

George ,

You are correct . The biggest difference would be the name on the Head plate.

Regarding Penn reels with the Abbey and Imbrie Logo on the Head plate.......they are very few and far between .

Ray

Tightlines667

Here are a few of my trade reels...

A&I: Asbury, Palmetto, Surf King (boxed), Silver King (boxed), Biscayne.. J.C. Higgens: 3137, CalTuna: 2/0

Kingfisher: First Year SeaFord, First Year LongBeach

Lawrence: 295 (boxed) & H&I:420 Squid King
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

sdlehr

Quote from: George4741 on August 16, 2016, 04:58:27 AM
Strange how Penn cataloged two names for the same reel. ???
George
George, if you're talking about the Long Beach and the Sea Gate, the goal of the Sea Gate was to lower the price from the Long Beach price, but not the quality of the reel, so the '39 Sea Gate was a Long Beach with a wood handle (the LB's that year had torpedo handles). It was strictly a marketing ploy.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

coastal_dan

Sorry guys for not updating in the past few days, life has been a little nuts... and today is our 8 year anniversary ;)  I have a mess of photos to upload but just need to get a chance to do it.

George - I listed the Abbey & Imbrie after seeing the Plug in the photo.

Brian (Ocean Reels) - If you read this can I post some of your photos of the LL Bean trade reels from your website?

Hope everyone is having a pleasant day.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Lawrence reels - that look so much like Penn - made by the Lawrence Tackle Manufacturing Co. - did they come about strictly after the Henze patents of the 1930's expired? I can't imagine Penn allowing such a close replica to be manufactured and sold if they could do anything to stop it.... because they do look Penn-like in almost every way.... so my guess is they couldn't do anything, and I'm presuming it was because the 16-yr patent period had expired.

Sid
Sid Lehr

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 16, 2016, 05:23:23 AM

One of these is not as advertised  :o ;)

Sid
Sid Lehr

coastal_dan

Seriously some of my favorite photos of all time are the plug photos...I want to print them and hang them in our living room (wife is going to love it...promise  ::))

Credit for the following picture goes to Bruce Davis per Ray (Superhook)

I was able to pick up a few and process a few trade reels over the past couple days...

Atlantic Ocean no 14.

J.C. Higgins Based on a 9M (still need to clean this one)

J.C. Higgins Based on a 109

Also...

I've been scouring old Sears catalogs for anything pertaining to J.C. Higgins reels and everything I've found so far has been based on the freshwater gear...I haven't found documention on Penn or any other saltwater trade reel for that matter...always love a good challenge though  ;)

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Quote from: sdlehr on August 16, 2016, 11:25:26 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 16, 2016, 05:23:23 AM

One of these is not as advertised  :o ;)

Sid

Very true... it is an early.. year correct mix match of parts.. Likely a lb tailplate on a seaford reel.  The other is correct. 

Good eye.. or memory ;) Sid
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 17, 2016, 02:43:21 AM
Very true... it is an early.. year correct mix match of parts.. Likely a lb tailplate on a seaford reel.  The other is correct. 

Good eye.. or memory ;) Sid
Looking at that round gear box on the reel on the right, it can't be a Sea Gate or a Long Beach. The one on the left could be either; I can't read the logos....

Sid
Sid Lehr