Penn Trade Reels

Started by coastal_dan, August 08, 2016, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

And from reading the "corporate history" on the Penn Reels website, his wife must have been a very shrewd one, too !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

sdlehr

Yes, Martha was a fisher and took over the company when Otto passed, I think it was '48. We owe her a debt of gratitude as well, even though Otto gets most of the glory! I wonder if they were married in the early 30's when Otto was founding Penn (and probably poor and starving).
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

I told of how I picked up a 1933 Kingfisher Long Beach in the "Penn Reels Just as You Find Them" thread a few weeks ago while I was in Cleveland. I'm finally getting around to posting before and after pics here. Here it is, in as found condition

After the cleanup

The clutch springs in this reel are different than any I've seen in a Penn reel before. Those from this reel are on the bottom, the usual ones on top

Sid Lehr

broadway

Awesome Job on that Kingfisher Sid! It's not very common to find a 3 posted LB Kingfisher and one in the current condition would fetch a good price... Shelf it!
Those clutch springs are either totally spent original Penn springs or someone opened up the springs a bit because they were too compressed.
Thanks for posting your rescue,
Dom

oc1

I cleaned up nicely Sid.  The springs have the same number of wraps.  The ends are the same diameter as original but they flare out in the middle.  I think Dom hit it.  User modified.
-steve

sdlehr

I still contend that if those springs were going to compress and lose their springiness they would have in the decades the reel sat unopened waiting for me to find it. They didn't. I think they came from the factory in that style in '33 and were deemed insufficient somehow, or Henz just found a cheaper spring elsewhere so we don't see them often. They are of a smaller gauge wire if you look closely enough.
Sid Lehr

mo65

Great clean up Sid...the reel looks fantastic! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Oceanreels

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

sdlehr

Thanks guys. Brian, Ray, Mike, anyone else, any insight on the clutch springs? I could take my micrometer to the springs, I bet they're 15-20% thinner gauge than the standard spring. I think they had to be made longer when made of the thinner gauge wire to provide the same amount of spring as those we consider standard today.
Sid Lehr

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on December 17, 2017, 04:32:11 PM
I could take my micrometer to the springs, I bet they're 15-20% thinner gauge than the standard spring. I think they had to be made longer when made of the thinner gauge wire to provide the same amount of spring as those we consider standard today.

Sid, I have an old 30s Bayhead, and I remember while restoring it I noticed the clutch springs were thinner and longer than what I normally see. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

coastal_dan

Nice job Sid.  Love seeing these old gals brought back...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

George6308

My son picked up this reel at second hand shop in Philpsburg NJ for $2.00.  Is it a Penn trade reel and if so is it pre 1939.  The cross bars & spool seem to be made of German silver.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

broadway

Sid,
   Recently I have found a few of those thin springs in LB's and Bayheads so far... maybe I wasn't being observant enough for the past couple hundred vintage reels. :o
I've made a few more observations that I will explain shortly.  Having a 2 year old limits sleep and typing time, but what fun it is!
Good eye,
Dom

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks guys. Brian, Ray, Mike, anyone else, any insight on the clutch springs?

Sid, I believe your springs are simply pulled during a rebuild. The gauge of the wire may be lighter; but, that could simply be that the springs came from more than one vender. Here is a picture of a Penn Model K, the springs look like any other yoke spring.