aluminum side plates

Started by reel man, August 09, 2016, 04:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reel man

Just received a couple sets of aluminum side plates from Bryan.  Think there should be a list of the size allen wrenched you'll nee for assemby because 3 different sizes are needed.  Fit and finish was excellent, and everything bolted together, and everything was liberally coated with grease.  Was a little concerned the "square" of the reel could be thrown off because you essentially tear down the stock cage, and start fresh, but maybe I got lucky because the reel assembled, and spool spun smoothly, and showed no misalignment.  Used the 5 stack drag configuration, and even added a stock belleville with the spring washer on top (found this gives even more drag).

If someone guides me how to put up pics they'll be added to this msg. Oh, Additional Options. will do.

bluefish69

Reel Man

Go to a hardware store & get a small set of Smity Allen Wrenches about $5. They fold like a knife nice & compact.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Quote from: reel man on August 09, 2016, 04:28:45 AM
Just received a couple sets of aluminum side plates from Bryan.  Think there should be a list of the size allen wrenched you'll nee for assemby because 3 different sizes are needed.  Fit and finish was excellent, and everything bolted together, and everything was liberally coated with grease.  Was a little concerned the "square" of the reel could be thrown off because you essentially tear down the stock cage, and start fresh, but maybe I got lucky because the reel assembled, and spool spun smoothly, and showed no misalignment.  Used the 5 stack drag configuration, and even added a stock belleville with the spring washer on top (found this gives even more drag).

If someone guides me how to put up pics they'll be added to this msg. Oh, Additional Options. will do.

That is on my to do list as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bigggfish

Got my side plate kits in the mail yesterday and did my first build today.  I built a Newell 322 size using black side plates and a black P21 Tiburon frame and kit.  I used a stock Newell C338-J5 bridge plate, a new cortez bridge sleeve and a new stainless 5:1 main and pinion gear. I replace the jack handle knob with a stainless knob and used a motive fab stainless drag star.  Everything fit together perfectly.  I only had two minor issues. 

1) One of the short bridge plate 6-40 screws would not engage the bridge plate.  It wasn't long enough. I had to take screw 1/2 inch 6-40 screw that wasn't in the kit and cut it down a little bit and replace the one in the kit.

2) I was one screw short in the kit for the frame screws.  I have a whole stock of screws so I was able to replace it.

But the reel is beautiful.

steelhead_killer

Love it!  Can you post some additional pictures???  ;D
><)))">

bigggfish

I'll post some more pictures when I get done with the "family".  I am working on a 322, 332, 338 and a 344.  I have the 322 and 332 done.  Working on the 338. 

I had the same problem on the 322 and the 332 with one of the short bridge plate screws not being quite long enough to engage the bridge plate.  I had screws I had to cut down a bit.  Not there yet on the others. Will let you know.

On the jack handle.  These were stock jack handles that I took the rubber "knob" off and put a stainless knob on.  I bought them from Paul Berinson.  I think Ulua Junkies also sells them.  You just take off the rubber one with a set of pliers and then the put the stainless one on.  It is two piece and it is just press fit with a table vice. 

Jim

Bryan Young

Screw sizes are as follows:

Jack Lever Screws - 0.050" hexagon
Frame Screws - 3/32" hexagon
Bridge Screws - 7/64" hexagon
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D