Pound for pound, what is the hardest fighting fish in the world?

Started by Flounder Boy 3, August 09, 2016, 08:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfjord

I'm a little late, but I'll chime in here.  I'm sure most of you folks have caught far bigger fish and a lot more species than I have, but for me it was a Bonito that took off like a rocket and nearly spooled my Penn 550SS.  Had to chase it with the boat.  Then there was a 45 minute battle I had on an 8-wt fly rod with a 35+lb striper while wading in a river.  It took me far enough into the backing to worry me.  The striper didn't come close to being as fast a bonito, but it was stubborn and took me a long time to finally turn it.  Generally, saltwater fish seem to hit harder than freshwater fish, but pound for pound a smallmouth can deliver a big punch.

Hardy Boy

I've caught a few different species of fresh and salt water fish and I'm always amazed at how hard any tuna species or jack species fights and for how long, maybe its because they don't jump and tire them self's out. it also appears that the colder water fish do not fight as hard pound for pound.
Todd

wfjord

I caught quite a few Jack Crevalle and they were hard fighters.

PRSD

For me i would say a big redbass on the great barrier reef. Penn 330gti 15kg line and still took over 10-15 min to get it up.
Had to thumb the spool abit.
That got a sweat up.
Also big stingrays that just circle under the boat come to mind

GOTTA FISH

I hooked a seal on the Klamath River a couple years ago.  Man can they fight hard, broke me off.  Yes not a fish, but it was pretty cool while it lasted!   :)

Caranx

pjstevko

sciaenops

QuoteI hooked a seal on the Klamath River a couple years ago.  Man can they fight hard, broke me off.

lol. I've yet to land one.

philaroman

I've "landed" a goose
well, he got untangled half-way, but kept comin'
...a fat domestic SOB w/ no fear of humans & a "springtime attitude" ;)
not much of a fight, at first -- just reeling slack line, as HE got to ME
then, IT WAS ON!!!  I backed up frantically, but did NOT turn&run!
he tasted MUCH Fenwick brown, before he relented & let me fish
yet another testimonial for vintage glass  ;D

David Hall

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Surface caught swordfish (not deep drop with an electric reel in a rod holder).  Strength, endurance and a vicious attitude.

ez2cdave

EVERYTHING is a LUNKER on 2-4 lb test ! ! !

ez2cdave

Now, where is that Gold fish bowl ?  LOL !

Stay Safe & Tight Lines !

Rivverrat