Pound for pound, what is the hardest fighting fish in the world?

Started by Flounder Boy 3, August 09, 2016, 08:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Bluefin kicked my but a while back, I was out of work for a week with a sore shoulder.
Was using an international 50 single speed.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

A dolphin hooked by the tail......don't ask me how I know that
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

ez2cdave

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 12, 2020, 04:12:34 PM
Dave whats the reel your using there ? ... Jeff

Jeff,

Those reels have been marketed under several different names and in different colors.

The pics below are of a Bass Pro Shops" Crappie Maxx" reel . . . Identical, except for color.

The one I have is older ( probably a different seller, possibly K-Mart ) . . . They are still being made.

CHANGE THE DRAG ! ! !

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-crappie-maxx-tightline-special-crappie-reel-100015551-1

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-crappie-maxx-tightline-special-crappie-reel

I think that MING-YANG makes these reels . . . They have the CL20, without level-wind and the CL 25, with level-wind.

https://www.amazon.com/Ming-Yang-CL20-BAITCAST-Panfish/dp/B00X1QXL88

https://www.amazon.com/Ming-Yang-Fishing-Baitcast-Walleye/dp/B00PNYEY3W

Stay Safe & Tight Lines !

Swami805

I'd agree with Sal. My PB bluefin was the toughest fish I've pulled on, just wouldn't give up. I've caught yellowfin twice the size that didn't have the stamina of bluefin. That fish kicked my behind.
So cal bonito are right in there too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

Quote from: ez2cdave on April 12, 2020, 05:23:25 PM
Jeff,

Those reels have been marketed under several different names and in different colors.

... including Ming Yang.
-s

ez2cdave

Quote from: oc1 on April 12, 2020, 08:01:17 PM
Quote from: ez2cdave on April 12, 2020, 05:23:25 PM
Jeff,

... including Ming Yang.
-s

Yes, indeed . . . I modified my response above to reflect that. They have the CL20, without level-wind and the CL-25, with level-wind.

SoCalAngler

Since this thread came back to life, which is cool IMO, I should of added sailfish in my first post. They are said to be the fastest fish in the ocean. I have no idea how you would measure that? But, one thing I do know is that they peel off line faster than any wahoo I have caught and fight way longer. With that said I have never caught a 80-100lb hoo but I have caught a couple sails around the 100 lb mark and several smaller. They are never weighted as we release all billfish caught. Sails are amazing on how fast they can swim and rarely give up until boat side and many times not then.

Dominick

I have to vote for tuna.  I have only caught yellow fin.  I don't know if blue fin pull harder.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ez2cdave

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 13, 2020, 02:53:45 AM
Since this thread came back to life, which is cool IMO, I should of added sailfish in my first post. They are said to be the fastest fish in the ocean. I have no idea how you would measure that? But, one thing I do know is that they peel off line faster than any wahoo I have caught and fight way longer. With that said I have never caught a 80-100lb hoo but I have caught a couple sails around the 100 lb mark and several smaller. They are never weighted as we release all billfish caught. Sails are amazing on how fast they can swim and rarely give up until boat side and many times not then.

Ron Jones

I'm going with Mark, all the wayback at the beginning. Can you imagine a 100 pond bonita? I've caught big bonita mixed with similar sized yellow fin / tail and always thought they were HUGE yellowtail. If they got the size of BFT there wouldn't be anything that could touch them short of a shark.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

PacRat

Ron is right on about the Bonito. I was got the jackpot with a bonehead. It has in the last few moments before pulling anchor so I decided to toss a jig. That bonehead hit hard and took me a couple of times around the rail. When we could see color I couldn't believe it was 'just a bonito' but the deckhand said "Don't loose it. You got the jackpot right there!"...and all I could think was 'on a bonehead?'. Made a believer out of me.

In fresh water I have been impressed with Peacock Bass. I fished Guri Reservoir in Venezuela and those are some hard-hitting fish. They were tearing my tackle up! I was using Ambassadors with 25 lb line and got broke off twice on the strikes which were explosive.

-Mike 

Ron Jones

I hear people talk trash about bonito all the time. They make fantastic ceviche, and I have a friend from Guam who uses them for the best caliguen you've ever imagined.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Jim Fujitani

I haven't read the entire thread..... but I will throw this out there, only because the smaller ones hooked in San Francisco Bay will just waste your time for a while.  Mud Marlin, also known as Bat Rays.  The California Bat Ray can reach up to 200 pounds.  A 25 pounder will take at least 20-30 minutes, incidentally hooked on 30# test, if the line isn't broken or cut.  And no, I don't intentionally fish for them, nor would I.

nelz

Yeah, rays don't get that much attention, but they are beasts! We get the big common sting rays around here, they have spooled many a surprised fisherman!  :o

boon

Yeah the old Mud Marlin has spooled many an unsuspecting fisherman over the years.

I think I said it earlier in this thread, but Yellowtail Kingfish have to be up there. I caught a 26lb fish recently that pulled line off a Makaira 20000 with the drag scaled at 33lb... albeit, only briefly.

The initial run from a Giant Trevally has to be up there as well.