Pound for pound, what is the hardest fighting fish in the world?

Started by Flounder Boy 3, August 09, 2016, 08:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Quote...the old Mud Marlin...
:D ;D
Priceless - will definitely be using that one!
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Jim Fujitani

Just this morning, on a another 'local fishing website', someone posted a fishing report of snagging a fishing line while fishing in SF Bay.  There was a rod and reel on one end, on the other end was a Mud Marlin!
If the rod isn't safety clipped, a Mud Marlin will jerk the rig over the rail when it hits, while going in the opposite direction of the troll.

xjchad

I've never caught a tuna, so I'd have to go with the rays as well.
I target bat rays and shark from the beach, and the rays will definitely put your gear to the test!
I've landed several over 100 lbs. and my arms and back sure feel it!

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Lingwendil

I'm convinced that a 30 pound bluegill would be a hell of a fight, but that's not what we're talking about :)

Hardest fighting fish I've ever personally dealt with is a 54" Sevengill shark I caught while perch fishing on an ultralight rig. If there wasn't a net I couldn't have done it.

Rays come for a close second though, especially if you hook into one of the lively ones. I've been spooled twice at the Alameda rock wall by big rays that simply would not stop.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Crow

I'd agree about the bluegill....if they all were 10 ponders, nobody would know what they looked like ;D!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Darin Crofton

Cubera Snapper will flat out pull like a freight train!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

happyhooker

Others have mentioned bluegill, and I would go along with that for sure.  They do not quit 'till you pull 'em out of the lake.  Fun on light tackle, and if you can get into a bigger representative of the family, you'll talk about it for a long time.

Carp were also mentioned; they are very strong.  Although they may resemble carp, both in looks and the way they fight, buffalo are native fish and equally strong with carp.  They fight all the way in and just when you think you are ready to land one, they hit their second wind and the battle starts all over.  I hooked a 20 lb. one on spinning tackle & 12 lb. test line, and over a 15-20 min, fight, I thought several times it would snap something and get away.  Hooked another two years ago in some tailwaters on a small Minn. river, and it just pulled like a semi downstream at least 75 yds., taking drag all the way, before the line snapped.  They don't really jump, but will get near the surface and roll/splash big time; mostly, tho', just tugging, tugging, tugging.  They are also almost as clever as carp in regards to finding a snag and wrapping up your line.

Frank

festus

Quote from: happyhooker on April 16, 2020, 08:53:19 PM
Others have mentioned bluegill, and I would go along with that for sure.  They do not quit 'till you pull 'em out of the lake.  Fun on light tackle, and if you can get into a bigger representative of the family, you'll talk about it for a long time.

Carp were also mentioned; they are very strong.  Although they may resemble carp, both in looks and the way they fight, buffalo are native fish and equally strong with carp.  They fight all the way in and just when you think you are ready to land one, they hit their second wind and the battle starts all over.  I hooked a 20 lb. one on spinning tackle & 12 lb. test line, and over a 15-20 min, fight, I thought several times it would snap something and get away.  Hooked another two years ago in some tailwaters on a small Minn. river, and it just pulled like a semi downstream at least 75 yds., taking drag all the way, before the line snapped.  They don't really jump, but will get near the surface and roll/splash big time; mostly, tho', just tugging, tugging, tugging.  They are also almost as clever as carp in regards to finding a snag and wrapping up your line.

Frank
Most any of the freshwater sunfish, including bluegill, redbreast, rock bass, redear, green sunfish and more are tough, especially on UL spinning tackle with 2 to 4 lb mono.  Those rock bass, green sunfish, and warmouth have huge mouths and they'll smack a big bass plug or spinnerbait when least expected. 

I used to do carp and buffalo fishing years ago.  Nowadays carp fishermen hve some highly sophisticated tackle, bait alarms, spods, hair rigs and such.  I never got beyond canned Niblets corn and strawberry Jello doughballs. Caught a few on a fly rod.  Those invasive silver carp, bighead carp, and Asian carp are becoming quite a problem in the northwestern part of the state. 

xjchad

Quote from: Lingwendil on April 16, 2020, 06:57:59 PM

Hardest fighting fish I've ever personally dealt with is a 54" Sevengill shark I caught while perch fishing on an ultralight rig. If there wasn't a net I couldn't have done it.

Anthony,
I love catching Sevengills!
In fact, that's what I target the most!
I wouldn't necessarily consider them one of the hardest fighting fish because 8 times out of 10, they charge the beach when I hook them.  So the fight is usually only 10-20 minutes of getting through the wash.

However, once you grab the tail, THAT'S A DIFFERENT STORY!
They can curl in a circle and bite their own tail, they're so flexible, and will twist and chomp at you over and over.

There are a few exception, and sometimes I'll hook one that's in breeding mode and goes nuts.  This 9 footer put up a heck of a fight.  It took two 100-150 yard runs and bulldogged me just outside the breakers for a long time. 

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Sharkb8

Them bat rays look the same as eagle rays we have  here and they put up a great fight, we also have seven gills  sharks but I think the bronze whaler shark fight a bit harder

Kim

Jenx

One of my favorite fish to catch from the shore here in SOCAL are Sargo. I have never caught one bigger than 14 or 15 inches, but even at that size I have had them snap 15lb line trying to lift them out of the rocks.

I can only imagine what that heart and fight would be like in a larger offshore fish.

They are also delicious.

the rockfish ninja

By most accounts Tarpon, GT, and bonefish are the hardest fighters out there and I can support the bonefish vote as I caught some juveniles in the Bahamas that astounded me with the power and vigor coming out of these 8-10" fish. Never caught an adult but the battle on fly gear must be epic.

I also hate to burst the bubble of all the mud marlin (bat ray) votes. Yes they are big, strong, and have ENDURANCE, but our bay is full of them and I've been wrestling with them since childhood. On a halibut trip a couple weeks ago I boated & released a 50lb ray on what amounts to a freshwater bass setup that I use to catch bait or light plugging,

took all my 50 years of experience, a bit of extra drag from my thumb, and approx 10 minutes.

From my experience it's the warm water tropical species that fight the hardest.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

nelz

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on July 11, 2020, 06:26:34 PMI also hate to burst the bubble of all the mud marlin (bat ray) votes.

Don't know about "mud marlin" rays, but a 50lb common sting ray, like the ones we get around here, would've handed you your butt!  ;D

El Pescador

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on July 11, 2020, 06:26:34 PM

... took all my 50 years of experience, a bit of extra drag from my thumb, and approx 10 minutes.

Tony!!!!

YOU SIR are a stud-muffin!!!!   10 minutes on a 50 lbs. ray!!!!   I  bow to you Sir!!!

Me???  I wrangled this skate on Gary's boat, the USS Maiko, and I know, and both Gary and Dominick will attest - my battle lasted over 10 minutes.   Maybe the current?? ;D

and on a ProGear Yellowtail Special with 80 lbs. braid.

I have fish for you in my freezer!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: nelz on July 11, 2020, 06:49:30 PM
Quote from: the rockfish ninja on July 11, 2020, 06:26:34 PMI also hate to burst the bubble of all the mud marlin (bat ray) votes.

Don't know about "mud marlin" rays, but a 50lb common sting ray, like the ones we get around here, would've handed you your butt!  ;D

If it's one of those ones that fly out of the water like in the documentaries, probably.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.