alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Pound for pound, what is the hardest fighting fish in the world?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 01, 2020, 04:22:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pound for pound, what is the hardest fighting fish in the world?  (Read 28422 times)
the rockfish ninja

« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2020, 11:49:40 AM »

... took all my 50 years of experience, a bit of extra drag from my thumb, and approx 10 minutes.

Tony!!!!

YOU SIR are a stud-muffin!!!!   10 minutes on a 50 lbs. ray!!!!   I  bow to you Sir!!!

Me???  I wrangled this skate on Gary's boat, the USS Maiko, and I know, and both Gary and Dominick will attest - my battle lasted over 10 minutes.   Maybe the current?? Grin

I have fish for you in my freezer!!!

Wayne

IMHO that old guitarfish fights harder, more like a shark. Beating the batray is less of me being a muffin and more about technique. It's a critter that fights in bursts, so giving line when he runs and taking when it rests is the surefire way to gain ground on them. Kind of like giving with the wave surge when surf fishing, when the waves pull back you give and when it surges in you crank in line, only it's at the whim of the ray's enthusiasm. They're just big and strong, that's why the fights are so much fun. Pound for pound I still stand by the tropical species, even snappers make our rockfish seem like we're pulling up sponges & starfish. Grin

... and speaking of surf fishing, I'm thinking of hitting the coast, are you working during the week? I try to avoid weekend crowds. Hit me with a PM if you're free.

Deadly Sebastes assassin.
nelz

« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2020, 05:18:29 PM »

If it's one of those ones that fly out of the water like in the documentaries, probably.

I think the jumpers are the manta rays. I'm talking about the florida stingray. The fight is very basic, just a solid, steady, powerful pull. VERY powerful! A 50 pounder would be like latching onto a pickup truck!
Swami805

« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2020, 06:42:12 PM »

I snagged a manta ray in the wing tuna fishing at clarion island. At first I thought I had a good one then saw a wing tip. I was in the bow so I locked the drag to try to break it off but 130lb don't brake easy. Towed the boat for a bit which is saying something, I was on the polaris supreme which is big. Got as close as we could and cut the line, off it swam. It was a monster.
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2020, 10:45:06 PM »

Big stingrays can stick to the bottom like a suction cup.  You can't move them and when they're stuck on the bottom they are catching their breath.  Sometimes plucking the line like a guitar string will make them get up.  You have to keep them moving in order to land them.
-steve
Rivverrat

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2020, 08:37:57 AM »

Steve, thats what I was thinking. I have little experience compared to others here with rays.  I caught a big Cow Nosed ray that was definitely more than 30 lbs. I've caught other types that were bigger. The locals fishing next to me said the Cow Nosed Ray ( they called them by another name ) I  caught was the biggest they had seen.

I've had good success getting them to the beach using an appropriate reel & doing all I can keeping them off the bottom. There is one type ray that I catch that turns sideways in the water & runs in an arc in front of me while pulling line. This is a fantastic fighter & seemingly smart fish. Next time I'll get a picture so some one here can identify it... Jeff
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:25:45 PM by Rivverrat » Logged
nelz

« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »

Big stingrays can stick to the bottom like a suction cup.  You can't move them and when they're stuck on the bottom they are catching their breath.

You said it Steve. I had a big ray empty out over half of a Jigmaster then glue itself to the sand. I finally gave up waiting and forced the line til it broke.
boon
Sensei

« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2020, 05:33:31 PM »

Sometimes plucking the line like a guitar string will make them get up

I have heard the guitar string one as well.

I wonder if they're one of those fish that you're best to just freespool the reel for a bit then try gently coax it. Some fish just give back whatever you try stick to them, with interest...

tincanary

Detroit, Michigan

« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2020, 06:03:56 AM »

Let me preface this by saying I've never once fished saltwater, all of my fishing has been done in the Great Lakes area so that's all I have to go by.  Everything from trout and panfish to musky, salmon, steelhead, and lake sturgeon have been the targets of my fishing adventures.  To me, the hardest fighter, pound for pound, is the rock bass, or grouper as we affectionately call them.  Size being equal, they fight even harder than smallmouth.  I've had quite a few peel drag and double my rod over, so much fun to catch, and they're mighty tasty as well. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: