New build to match the new side plates

Started by Swami805, August 12, 2016, 10:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

While I'm waiting for the side plates to arrive I thought I'd build a rod for a 332 Newell. The blank is a calstar gf 100j. Just finished the butt wrap and though I'd post a picture since I like the way they look before the have finish on them. The reel will have green side plates and I'm hoping to find a gold frame for it.  This is my first shot a posting a picture,hope it works. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

beautiful work compadre Sheridan, but I dont think I will ever go this route.
by chance do you a have pic of the wrap with finish? or is the rod long gone
The Baja Guy

Benni3

droppedit

Nice job Sheridan! I've been playing with the closed wraps the last couple of years, found out they either work or they don't. I'm usually about 10-12 hours into one when I break a thread that is always on top and at the beginning. Nobody said it was easy but you have to do a few of these to really appreciate what goes into them.
I have one I'm doing for myself right now and hope to have it done to fish it in March, well you know how that goes.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

handi2

Great job..!! It was too tedious for me to do. I now give rods to repair to Pompano Joe.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mrwilson99

David

Alto Mare

Sheridan, being your first time posting picture, you really came in with a bang... beautiful job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Sheridan: WHAT? :o That is out of the park! :)

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

hope you guys realized the pic from Sheridan was from aug, 2016   ;D :P :P

its nice to see some work from a master rod builder even when it was just a tease
The Baja Guy

droppedit

Quote from: steelfish on January 19, 2019, 12:59:38 AM
hope you guys realized the pic from Sheridan was from aug, 2016   ;D :P :P

I hope he got his side plates ;)
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Swami805

Here's a picture of it finished, flexcoat has a little "boat" haze. Thanks for the kind words
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on August 12, 2016, 10:40:02 PM
.......and though I'd post a picture since I like the way they look before the have finish on them.

sorry amigo, but I dont concur with you.

after checking the pic with the cosmetic wrap with the finish applied I think the job looks way better that way.
the metallic thread really came alive with the finish
awesome !

The Baja Guy

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

Sheridan that's awesome!

Unless one has wrapped a butt wrap themselves, it's difficult to appreciate the patience to do what Sheridan just did. It's difficult to keep the threads all equally spaced and not wander off axis, lathe or no lathe...AND closed box in black on black...I wrapped a black on black chevron a few weeks back and i can hardly see to do them anymore without a lot of light.

kudos, sir!

John