Newell spool

Started by swill88, August 13, 2016, 06:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

John, the Penn plastic 500 spool weighs 2.8 oz, which is almost as light as the Newell graphite, but the Penn plastic spools are notorious for spreading and locking up the reel when tightly loaded with monofilament line (typically when hooked up to the fish of a lifetime) due to their two-piece construction.  People used them because it was very difficult to cast an anchovy or other small live bait with the Penn metal spool and this was one of the reasons that Newell began making parts (and in particular, aluminum spools) for Penn reels.  This began in the 1960's around the same time as Carroll Shelby was working his magic on Fords.  I always thought that it was interesting that Shelby and Newell had so much in common.  They were in the same place at the same time doing basically the same thing, and there was even a slight physical resemblance between them.

Bryan Young

Hi Randy, do you have any of these spools for sale?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

Wondering, is the Newell 100 spool interchangeable with the Penn 29L-100 spool?   ???

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 16, 2016, 02:04:18 PM

Bryan, I'm sorry to say that I sold all three that I had to alantani.com family members a few months ago.  If you like, I can go back and see who bought them if you want to try to see if they want to sell one.

Thanks,

Randy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Aiala on August 16, 2016, 02:31:30 PM
Wondering, is the Newell 100 spool interchangeable with the Penn 29L-100 spool?   ???

~A~

Aiala, the Newell 100 spool is interchangeable with any of the stock Penn 100 spools.  It also works in the 27, 160, 180, and probably a few more models that I am not remembering.

Randy

Alto Mare

Randy is correct Aiala. Every once in a while the Newell spool shaft will be too thick for penn pinion, but most will work.
I had to sand down the shaft on one for my 100, not a big deal, it doesn't take much.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on August 16, 2016, 08:14:56 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on August 16, 2016, 02:04:18 PM

Bryan, I'm sorry to say that I sold all three that I had to alantani.com family members a few months ago.  If you like, I can go back and see who bought them if you want to try to see if they want to sell one.

Thanks,

Randy
Thanks Randy.  I know who has them.  I was wondering if you had any more.  Not a problem.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D