Penn Int. 130ST and Custom Rod w/Fin Nor Guides

Started by CaptainRMF, August 14, 2016, 03:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

Hey guys need some help with info on this rod/reel combo. My friend from our boat yard is cleaning out his basement and asked me to help him sell his rig. I have no idea about this Big Game stuff. He bought it brand new and only fished it 4 times. The reel is an Int.130ST w/200lb. Dacron. The rod is a custom unlimited 6ft. 2 piece bent butt w/Fin Nor roller guides. He thinks he paid $2800 back in the day but has no idea what it's worth now. Any info from you Big Game guys would be really great. Thanks.                  Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

alantani

check with randy pauly.  he has his own board here.  good luck!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CaptainRMF

Thanks for the advice Alan. I'll try and send him a PM.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Richy, I would estimate that the reel is worth somewhere between $800 - $1,000, assuming that it is excellent mechanical condition and an 8.5-9 cosmetically on a 10 scale. 

Regarding the rod, I believe that the Fin Nor guides are probably worth $125+ by themselves if they are in good shape.  The bent butt is an Aftco Storabutt and I would guess that it is a #6, but even if it is only a #4, the butt alone is worth $150+. 

It's really hard to say what the complete rod is worth without knowing about the blank, and even if you could determine the blank specs, custom rods are hard to value.  If you can find the right guy, the rod could be worth a lot, but if your friend wants to make a reasonably quick sale, I don't think that he can expect to get much more than the combined value of the butt and guides.  I would probably settle for $300 for a quick local cash sale, but I am notorious for not trying to extract maximum value, instead preferring to turn stuff quickly and move on to the next sale.  I am assuming that the 6' 2" length does not include the butt because most people would not fish stand-up with a 130, and most people would want at least a 7' overall length to fish the chair to be able to clear the corners of the transom.

Shipping the reel is no problem, but if you want to expand your market for the rod by agreeing to ship it, you need to get a lot more to justify the giant pain in the #### of packaging the rod to prevent damage in transit, and make sure that you know exactly what the shipping cost will be before you quote anyone a delivered price.  You would probably need to ship the rod in two packages because even though the butt and the reel seat come apart with the Storabutt, you would need a very large diameter shipping tube to include the bent butt in the same package with the rod, which would probably result in a major oversize surcharge from USPS, UPS or FedEx.

That's my two cents worth.  Good luck with the sale.

Randy

CaptainRMF

Randy, thank you for you insight and information. I have no idea about offshore stuff. Your input is greatly appreciated. I will give him all your info and leave it up to him. Don't be surprised if this site is the first place I list it for him. I know someone here could really appreciate a set up like this. Thanks again.                 Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF