pike fishing

Started by b houlihan, August 16, 2016, 09:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b houlihan

my grandsun is going to minnesota next year in augest with the boy scouts and would like suggestions on rod reels and tackel he should take  thanks

Bill B

B.....pike and muskee are way out of my area....be patient I'm sure someone will chime in.....but if memory serves me correctly....large to huge stick baits and 20lb+ rods and poles would be a good starting point, but I'm not really sure.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Well...generally heavy baitcasters and heavy 6-8ft. rods are used...but since he's on a camping trip he could pack a little lighter combo. Small and average size pike can easily be landed on a medium size spinning reel mounted on a 7ft. MH rod. This will allow him to also chase smallies, walleye, crappie, or whatever else swims those waters. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

borchcl

If he is going to an area that has large (by Minnesota standards) pike, a medium to heavy bass style bait caster would suffice. Otherwise, Mo65's advice is right on. If he should find such a place filled with large pike, let us know!
Good Luck!
Charlie

Shark Hunter

I use to chase these toothy fish. Once I caught my first Shark. They were no longer on the list.
I suggest Dardevle spoons and a large spinner.
A Cardinal, Penn 750ss or a Pleuger were my choices back in the day.
Life is Good!