Poors man DIY Hand rod wrapper jig (from a wood box)

Started by steelfish, August 17, 2016, 07:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Love the simplicity - lovely job (especially for a first time) 8)

thorhammer

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on August 29, 2016, 11:16:59 AM
Nice Alex.  What epoxy are you using?

right now Im using Flexcoat lite and high formula, but I want to try Bullard Diamond II too and find out which I would prefer for my builds
The Baja Guy

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Quote from: steelfish on August 29, 2016, 04:47:47 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on August 29, 2016, 11:16:59 AM
Nice Alex.  What epoxy are you using?

right now Im using Flexcoat lite and high formula, but I want to try Bullard Diamond II too and find out which I would prefer for my builds

I used flex high for years and moved to ProKote last year; PK seems to sag really badly in my environment (hot and humid in NC). Recent builds with 2-3 coats FC Lite build are giving me a nice finish.

steelfish

Quote from: mo65 on August 29, 2016, 05:02:35 PM
Great work man! 8)

Thanks buddy

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on August 26, 2016, 07:29:15 AM
Love the simplicity - lovely job (especially for a first time) 8)

thank amigo, yes Im also surprised it ended up really good for being my 1st ever rod repair job.
I actually made another fix for one of my friend's rod, its a light Terez rod, I resintalled the 1st guide (from the tip) and he's really stocked, pretty sure that for this kinds of small fixes this home-made rod wrapper jig is more than enough

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Well, this rod is the reason why this "rod repair bug" started, my trevala rod XXH lost the tiptop and 1st guide ceramic on a good fight (agains a sea dog  ;D)
and since I dont have any local or near rod repair shop to send it, last time it took 6-8  weeks to have it sent and back from another city and kind on the expensive side, so, I better learned how to fix them even if the dont look factory repaired.

this is the ending product, tip top new (job is not new to me) and 1st guide (from the tip) installed, including the gold trim and underwrap, I like the baloon look so thats how I did it which is not that different than factory look, I even made a small balloon just before the tip, that part looks bigger in pictures than what it really is, so no problem with the line rubbing on it.

next job will be a changing all guides on my musky rod for some guides 3x stronger and made for saltwater use, but this might take few more weeks and will be on another thread.
The Baja Guy

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

steelfish

thanks Sid, very kind for your part to say that, I know I still have a lot to learn about rod building but for fixing my own and helping my friends with their rods I think Im good.

next build will look 2x better fo'sho.
The Baja Guy

steelfish

well, continue with the rule of necessity is the mother of invention, I added a small upgrade to the rod building box-wrapper

the velcro tape spongy surface really help to reduce friction while manually turning the black to wrap the guides but for a rod with more than 6 guides you really pay the bill on you left hand , or when repairing a rod and the foam of the handle is trying to rotate on the velcro tape, velcro hair and foam are to a nice combination for a smooth rotation, so, I bought some mini roller wheels (cheap ones of course from china) to rotate the blanks or handles on wheels and not on velcro tape anymore.
I already wrapped a guide to test it and it was a home run, felt like Mcgyver LOL, it worked that good that I took the support/base of a CRB dryer that have a kind of slippery soft plastic on the "V" opening to reduce friction while drying the epoxic, whell I took that material out and add some roller wheels too  ;D ;D, another hit  ;)
now my left hand will not get tired when working non-stop when wrapping a whole rod, next move (I dont know when) will be getting a power wrapper ..now the pics so you can understand what I tried to say

in picture seems like the opening between the wheels is too big, but they can have a thin FW rod tip between them

this is the counter part of the CRB dryer (which it was a Gift by Joe "reel224", thanks again amigo Jose) but this time with roller wheels

this is how it was stock form

since I dont have a big table to work on my rods and another to dry the finished ones I put the dryer section with the motor on a small table and the counter part of the dryer is attached to a camera tripod, this way I can swivel the dryer to any desire side or elevate the same dryer at any height needed.

and yep, it works really good on the tripod and I can use the dryer anywhere I just adjust the height and forget about it, this "thingy" also serves me as extention to support the handle section of the rod when working on long rods and Im wrapping the guides near to the tip, my working table is just 4' long   :-[ ;D

The Baja Guy

Reel 224

You made it even better, like your rod wrapper. You made that gift more then useful and that makes me happy. ;D 

Joe (Jose)

PS Very smart innovation with those rollers.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Fishy247

Your jig turned out great! I really dig the rollers. I have the CRB hand winder and it gets to be a bit much turning it by hand. I'm gonna have to try adding some rollers to mine...Thanks for the awesome idea!

Mike

steelfish

no problema Mike, go for the rollers, they will make that manual CRB jig 2x better
big auction site have plenty
The Baja Guy

Bill B

Bro that just keeps getting better....great job on the upgrades....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

sooooo, my little helper has grown a little bit during the last 16 months.

he loves to take long naps on the "rensetti wrapper" since my doughter brough it home, now its a Monster kitty that dont fit on his favorite place, but he always find a way to get comfy   :D ;D.
The Baja Guy