this is why i like having a winder

Started by alantani, August 20, 2016, 03:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the spectra on this reel was spooled on way too loosely.  it all bunched up into a jumbled mess.  it's going to get stripped off, repacked and then a proper topshot will be added.  it's getting to the point where it's not good enough to just service a reel.  the guy still has to be able to fish with it.  unless it's spooled up properly, he's going to have problems.  gotta fix this!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

FatTuna

I once snagged a lobster buoy with a reel while trolling. It was packed with green power pro. Line looked exactly like that after I was done. The line was never quite the same. Braid bite is ugly.

David Hall

handi2

Alan I see that many times on reels that the backing was never taken off. Ive had to get a razor blade to the line just to get it off.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

I hear this about braid all the time.

But once the line is pulled off while fishing, is it actually going back on tight?  Unless you have the drag tight and a big fish, isn't it going back on a little looser?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Tiddlerbasher

Ran - Yep it will - that's why I re-spool braid after every trip (with a power winder - of course ;)) It only takes a couple of minutes :)

Rancanfish

How unfortunate you don't live next door. 

;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

alantani

it's important to start with a clean spool and apply a light coat of grease.  the product i use is yamaha marine grease, my favorite for years.  what you use is not so important, just as long as you use something.  THEN you can add the double layer of flex wrap.  here's an example of why it's important to grease the entire spool.,  you'll see corrosion UNDER the tape. 

when i pulled the tape off, this is what i found. 

so, a light coat of grease on the spool.  if you apply too much, just wipe off the excess with a old rag.  then you can apply the flex wrap and wind on the line.  don't assume the tape will protect the spool.  it won't. 

nelz

The tape doesn't slip with the grease?

alantani

I think it's gooey enough that it sticks.

Steve-O

Joe, not a reel expert answer but I would compare it to a fly reel with fly line and backing.

The flyline being the thicker diameter of the two, you get a whole lot more yards of braid as backing to handle a long running, hard fighting fish.

Especially when you hook a bonefish, permit or even a carp.

That fish is going w-a-a-a-y farther than a 110 feet of flyline before it can be turned or tires out.

Same with the conventional reel...more yardage of fish fighting braided line vs mono for long deep runs.

hope that makes sense.

Someone correct me otherwise.

sdlehr

Joe, braid slips on the spool arbor if you tie directly to it. Mono does not. The first few yards of mono is to keep the line achored to the arbor, the braid over top is for strength and durability, and the mono topshot (some use) is to provided some stretch to the line during the cast; braid has zero stretch and poor abrasion resistance and shouldn't be used to tie directly to the arbor.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

sdlehr

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 23, 2016, 02:42:21 PM

My other question was. If waxing the spool was as good as coating it with grease as Alan has done.

Joe 
I would bet the jury is still out on that one and the answers you get will probably not be factual but personal preference. Either wax or grease will put a hydrophobic (water-repelling) layer between the metal and the water. If they never touch there is no corrosion. My guess is that the toughest of the two layers would be the most useful, and that would be the wax, but I'm just guessing.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

Joe, as noted mono will slip directly on spool; I had a shop spool a couple of Penn spinners for me and they didn't put on a few yards of mono to prevent this... ended badly. "Braid-ready" reels, such as new Penn spinners, have a rubber band inset into spool to provide grab. Now, the below is my personal rigging for different applications; and is only my opinion for some specific applications of my own:

Casting with spinners, don't need miles of capacity for running fish but need sensitivity and distance on the cast: spool with mono backing up to where I can load a 150 yd spool of braid on top (lb test appropriate for application), with a few feet of mono or fluoro for shock leader.

Where I need heavy test AND capcity: some yards of mono backer to prevent slip, fill spool with braid, top shot of mono / fluoro. For instance, for high speed wahoo trolling at 17 knots with lure 300 yds behind boat, I back my 80's with 250 yards of 100 mono, then 500 yds 200 braid, then 100 feet of 150 lb mono for shock leader. This tactic puts a lot of stress on tackle as we are pulling a two pound lure at 17 knots; if a 'hoo hits going the other way you have to have tackle with stones and a lot of capacity not to get dumped with 300 yds of line already out. Clearly the 200 braid has no stretch, which is why we use 100 ft mono as a true shock absorber.

Jigging / bottom fishing with conventional or spinning: 20 ft 65 to 100 lb fluoro, 300 yds 50 to 100 lb braid, backed to spool with 30 to 50 lb mono (this covers torium 20 / jigmaster size reels up to 4/0 conventional reels and my 9500SS's; I use straight 80 mono on 6/0's).

John