Happy Client

Started by theswimmer, August 21, 2016, 03:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

While I was out fishing yesterday,I had a client drop off on my back porch a
Calstar West Coast 6455 xh roller brand new.
I guess he was pleased with the results on his last job😇
My question is what reel?
My targets would be Tuna, small Marlin , Sails etc. Probably 90% Mexico and Calif.
My preference is old school but I realize that one reel of any era probably won't cover the range of the rod.
Thanks in advance for the input.
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

El Pescador

Jonathan!

Good day fishing yesterday???  Hope so.

You WANT OLD SCHOOL??  Go fishing with Dominick!!!!   :o

Just strap on a TANK and head to Los Cabos with Dominick and me!  That is all you need.

Here is Dominick fighting and landing a 150 lbs. Marlin and the TANK handled & dispatched the pelagic beast with NO PRESSURE!!!!!

Tight Lines Buddy Boy!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Bryan Young

I think a 114H would do the job just fine.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

theswimmer

I have a clean 114 h picked up at a yard sale that I haven't even cracked open.
I was thinking about a mild hotrod to start and we all know where that will take me!

Wayne ,the fishing has been great. Water levels are pretty low in most cases, but if you fish the rivers below the lakes , flows are still pretty good. Yesterday I fished the Kings below Wishon dam. Challenging territory to be sure ,  but huge pools , some 20-25 feet deep . Lots of fish , I saw some massive Browns but with the Moon phase it was hard to even get the big guys to look at my fly. I  think I caught and released 7 or 8 assorted Rainbows , Brooks and Browns in the 12-15 inch range. Lots and lots of dinks. Had alot of fun and  being a bachelor there was no time constraints . I didn't make it back to the truck until nearly 9 pm.
Got home and fell asleep on the couch with a cold beer in hand.😇
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

theswimmer

Ok so the 114 or some version of it is one option.

Bryan I know you are partial to Newell's any sugestions as to size?

With a guy like Randy Pauly around I have almost a  limitless selection to choose from. Being as I didn't have to buy the rod I might even look at one of the Internationals.

Errol Flynn

Dominick

Penn International Torque 300.  That would be a killer set up which will catch most anything under 500 lbs.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Quote from: theswimmer on August 21, 2016, 09:08:53 PM
Ok so the 114 or some version of it is one option.

Bryan I know you are partial to Newell's any sugestions as to size?

With a guy like Randy Pauly around I have almost a  limitless selection to choose from. Being as I didn't have to buy the rod I might even look at one of the Internationals.
For a Newell, I would recommend a 540-3.2 or any of the 600 series.

For an international, I know of one that is for sale.  The asking price is $500.  It is new and has not been spooled but has been pre-serviced by Alan Tani.  Attached photos.  It didn't fit the angler and the angler decided to get a 16 instead.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

A 6455XH rod's sweet spot is around 60-80 lb test. Even though you may fish it lighter, which IMO is not a bad thing, I'd look for a reel you would like to fish at the drag pressure for 60-80 lb test. Old school is cool and will keep costs down if you don't add all the goodies that are here and elsewhere but if you really want a reel to fish those drag pressures I'd look for something two speed. You never know when school sized tuna will kick out something much bigger, or fishing stripe marlin in Baja when a blue will bite, this mostly happens in the southern part of the Sea of Cortez but can happen elsewhere. I have seen a 160 lb bigeye taken just outside of Ensenada, caught by my father on a trolling lure made by my nephew.

My point is to gear up to the sweet spot of the rod. 60-80 lb test can be handled ok by a single speed reel but if you fish the right sized two speed reel it will kick butt over a single speed every time.  

Don't let a fish of a lifetime give you a heartbreak.

If you want to talk about some two speed reels that are a good match for 60-80 lb test just say so and I'm sure you will find many opinion's/options for you to look at.