Abu-Gurus, I have a Q...

Started by Steve-O, March 22, 2011, 01:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Here's what I have in the Abu line and use them all season for my go to carp reels. Two new 6600 C4's - the blue ones, an ebay special 6500 C3-silver, and a Black Max 6500-black..duhh...all made in Sweden.

The old silver one is a squealer (on a stiff cast) and may need some bearing work/replacement. It may become a parts reel after this post.

So one of my newer C4s has developed an issue that was unnoticed at the end of last season. Here's what happens. When I mash the thumb bar the spool does NOT disengage to freespool like it should. IF I thumb the spool and wiggle it back and forth a tiny bit it will free up and cast and retrieve as it should. This happens every time.

I opened it up ( first time ever in an Abu)  to find some pinion gear wear and an ugly grease glob with bronze dust and maybe a broken plastic part - the yoke. The pinion gear has a small plastic (C) on it. Is this piece intact and in the right place? Is the worn pinion gear the main culprit? Or is it sticking/hanging up due to sitting all winter? Are the other models of reel parts interchangeable with this one? Just asking before scavenging the other reel or ordering parts.

thanks, Steve-O

alantani

i've held off on abu rebuild posts because none of the schematics have names for the parts.  basically, the entire base plate needs to be cleaned and lubed.  there are so many different styles/designs.  it's hard to keep track. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Steve-O

Thanks, Alan. Utah is a second pole permit state so I normally keep two lines ( twin Abu C4's )  in the water for carp angling until the bite gets hot and two rods become awkward quickly when a double happens. And it does once the bait scent draws them in.

I'll open up the others and see if the needed parts are interchangeable or not. Or just use the Black Max until I get the right parts ordered. In the meantime I'll do the clean and lube on them since we're getting closer to fishing weather. That was until I drove into Salt Lake City this morning and ran into a bunch of WHITE STUFF falling from the sky....AGAIN!
Steve-O

Steve-O

Well, now I can answer my own Abu Q's.

Yes, there are interchangeble parts inside some models! The  6500 and 6600 have the same yokes, pinion gears and several other parts that are the same. I scavenged the old silver reel and found rusty bearings - it was the screamer when casting and now I know why.

Anywho....I got both my newer blue C4's back in action, cleaned, lubed, spooled and ready to fish. Now to concoct some  sugar sweet vanilla corn boilies! (my go to carp bait)  ;D

After going through the tutorials and my Abu reels a few times I feel quite confident in servicing them.

BTW- the drags may have been lightly oiled from the factory but now they're teflon greased.

Steve-O