CU200 Help

Started by woodtick, August 23, 2016, 02:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodtick

I'd like to upgrade my 2 old CU 200s with Orange Seal Boca Bearings.
Questions:
Does the spool shaft bearing need replacing for best results?
If so, is it the same bearing as the other two?
If so, what is the best method for removing keeper pin, without spending $40 on a special tool?

On a separate issue, the anti-reverse on one of the reels occasionally fails.  Thoughts?

I'll also be replacing the Carbontex washers with new ones.  Any other parts that might need replacing for older reels?

Thanks

alantani

dawn at http://smoothdrag.com/ will have everything you need.  in general, i would always replace the stock drag washers with greased carbon fiber.  for the rest, i would first clean out the old ball bearings and AR bearings, then re-install them and see how well they work.  don't spend money if you don't have to. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

woodtick

Quote from: alantani on August 23, 2016, 03:21:48 PM
dawn at http://smoothdrag.com/ will have everything you need.  in general, i would always replace the stock drag washers with greased carbon fiber.  for the rest, i would first clean out the old ball bearings and AR bearings, then re-install them and see how well they work.  don't spend money if you don't have to.  

Best bearing cleaning method?
Thanks

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

X2.....just be careful drying them....dont use compressed air to spin dry....that will ruin them....just use it to blow straight through to dry.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

woodtick

oc1

The spool bearing (the one in the middle) will have a larger inside diameter than the two out at the ends of the shaft.  The one in the middle is probably more important than the one under the cast control knob. 

I never liked that three-bearing design for casting reels because it complicates doing a quickie cleaning.

You can squeeze the pin out with a pair of pliers but it's risky.  Probably OK for a one time operation but If you're going to service the middle bearing often it's worth getting or making a tool.  Alan has instructions for making your own tool from a pair of vice grips (I think it was vice grips).

-steve

exp2000

You can remove the pin by gripping the spindle in SOFT vice jaws and supporting the spool on a piece of wood. Then you can tap the pin out with a nail ground flat on the end.

If the reels are old it is a good idea to replace the clutch return spring as there is only one and it can become weak over time.
~