age of penn reels by handle color

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

this is from bob lanham......

Haven't seen it posted lately so here are the color codes for Penn reels with the original handle: amber = 30-40's, red = 50's, green = 60's, white = 70's, black = 80's and rubber 90's>. I've got two Penn #209's one amber and the other rubber and they are exactly the same despite being 60+ years apart. Fun to catch salmon with a reel older than me IMO. Bob

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

somebody didn't like that answer.  

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/fishing-reels/238120-dating-penn-reel-handle-color.html

Quote from: mchawk;1826046Posted on another board about the handle colors and age of the reel

"I know where you saw that list, and for whatever it's worth, it has very little to do with anything factual at all. I've been in the business of working on Penn conventional reels since the 1960's, and have probably done over 20,000 of them so far. My New Old Stock handles I have right now consist of perhaps 150 different colors and shapes. Anyone that says that he can tell what year a Penn was made by looking at it in any fashion is simply misguided. There are clues as far as side plate colors, lettering fonts on them, and subtle changes in specific part variances,etc., but without an accompanying sales receipt it is just not possible."

Chef Jim

Chef Jim's Penn Reels

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

theoatteejae

Hi all.
I have a Penn Peerless o/h that my father-in-law bought in the 50's which has a green handle, and my 70's model 4/0 Senator 113H [that I'm about to contact Alan about] has a timber handle - original item.
theoatteejae.

seaeagle2

We were kids in the late 60's, Dad got us rods with Penn 285's, since there were three of us and we were all a year apart in age, EVERYTHING was color coded, I was green or blue, Wayne was red, and randy was yellow.  Dad got one reel with green, one with red and one with yellow, I'm assuming all three at the same store at the same time........my point being maybe they just threw different colors on as they felt like....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Nessie Hunter

I have replaced so many Handles on Penn reels with whatever was newer & Shinier in my box of parts that I cant count them.....
All Diff colors...

So if you see any of mine out there (almost all sold or donated etc) Be aware!!!!!

;D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Maxed Out

Quote from: alantani on December 07, 2008, 04:38:06 PM
this is from bob lanham......

Haven't seen it posted lately so here are the color codes for Penn reels with the original handle: amber = 30-40's, red = 50's, green = 60's, white = 70's, black = 80's and rubber 90's>. I've got two Penn #209's one amber and the other rubber and they are exactly the same despite being 60+ years apart. Fun to catch salmon with a reel older than me IMO. Bob

Hmmmmm, so this list basically says this person has a 209 with an amber handle that dates it to the 1930's or 1940's ??? That would be a one of a kind 209 seeing as the 209's were first made in the early 1950's. nob color has nothing to do with dating a penn reel. The shape of the nob is more of a dating tool than any nob color. Any penn handle manufactured prior to 1950 will not have a part number stamped on it, and most of those had a nob that was more pointed, kinda shaped like a football. The 109 which came out in 1945 had at least 6 different colors thru 1949.......Also, this so called list of colors seems to be lacking about 35 other colors that penn produced. I currently have over 250 penns and I can't even begin to count or list all the different colors.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 17, 2012, 12:20:19 AM
.......... I currently have over 250 penns and I can't even begin to count or list all the different colors.

Aw, come on Ted. Inquiring minds want to know! ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Maxed Out

Quote from: norcal pescador on February 17, 2012, 12:42:10 AM
Quote from: Max Doubt on February 17, 2012, 12:20:19 AM
.......... I currently have over 250 penns and I can't even begin to count or list all the different colors.

Aw, come on Ted. Inquiring minds want to know! ;D

HAHAHAHA.......Maybe the guy who color dated the reels by handle was actually partially color blind and didn't know it. If you want a different color, just get out your multi colored marks-a-lots and go to town....Anyone can do it !!!

broadway

I agree with Ted about the handle is more of a tell tale than the color.  The football shaped ones are usually before 1950 (non-numbered parts era)
Ted, Did you say 250 Penn reels... you're my hero, seriously! I thought I had a pretty sick collection with 110 to 120 Penn reels. I gotta get crackin' on my collection I see!  ;)
Would love to see some sweet Senator photos when ya get around to it.
Thanks
Dom

Maxed Out

Quote from: broadway on February 17, 2012, 02:20:28 AM
I agree with Ted about the handle is more of a tell tale than the color.  The football shaped ones are usually before 1950 (non-numbered parts era)
Ted, Did you say 250 Penn reels... you're my hero, seriously! I thought I had a pretty sick collection with 110 to 120 Penn reels. I gotta get crackin' on my collection I see!  ;)
Would love to see some sweet Senator photos when ya get around to it.
Thanks
Dom

Here are a few......How bout a red anniversary 113H with the solid chrome spacer bars and red aluminum spool. There were not very many of these ever produced. Super hard to find in unused/mint condition. I sold one to a collector friend for $235.00 and he was very happy to obtain it.
2nd is a 14/0 senator absolutely mint from the 70's pictured with a standard penn reel for size comparison(note the early 50's style nob on the smaller penn pictured with the 14/0).....3rd is an all green #9 only produced in 1957, and of course in mint condition.(sorry about the little bit blurry picture, I think my camera had a few too many beers that night)

Maxed Out

Here is another shot of the all green #9 when my camera hadn't been drinkin' too much. Also a much better shot of the exact style of handle that came on these 1957 light duty penns.......Very tough to find all original penns in mint condition that are so old they qualify for social security.

broadway

Ted,
    Beauties!!!  I agree those anniversary penn 113hl and 114hl are tough to get the paws on now a days.  I, fortunately was able to find one of each  ;)
I love how heavy those monster senators were... I have a 12/0 and 14/0 spooled with line as thick as clothes line :o from the 50's.  It's like picking up an anvil when they're spooled up!
Thanks for sharing some sweet reels,
Dom

Alto Mare

Ted, it's ok to give some information, buy don't overdo it ;).
You're creating a lot of competation for us. ;D ;D ;D

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Norcal Pescador

I'm not even worthy of trying to follow. :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD