Penn 9500SS Spinning reels

Started by steelhead_killer, August 25, 2016, 04:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

It appears as if the value of these reels is all over the map.  Some in the $175 range and some in the +$300 range.  All seem to be similar in condition.  Can someone give me an idea of why the wide range of pricing?  I want to buy one but I want to buy the right one.  What should I be looking for and more importantly what to avoid?

Thanks for the feedback!

Andy
><)))">

Shark Hunter

This is a Big Spinner Andy.
Big and heavy. I have several. If you can find one NIB for $200 or less. That is a good deal.
I wouldn't pay any more for one.
Some have Brass Gears and some have an alloy main gear. That is where the challenge lies.
You won't know until you open it up. Either one is OK. It is a Penn, but the brass mains are more desirable.
It is not as easy as switching main gears if you have one. You will have to change the pinion gear too.
It is one of my favorites. I always have one with me when I make it to the coast.
Life is Good!

steelhead_killer

Sal gave me the heads up on an good value  ($79.00 NIB) 9500SS off the auction site a week ago.  Description was confusing.  It said NIB and Reel for Parts usage only.  I have patiently waited for the package in the mail.  Its been 8 days from the east coast, hmmm.  I used to be all about what was in the box.  Now I am into what's on the inside of the reel.  Also, I have to determine the drag set up.  Lee is checking to see if he has any more SS ratchets and dogs.  Spool her up with 80 lb braid and away we go! Ding!!  Delivery notification.  Well its time to see what I got!

As Lefty Gomez once said "I would rather be lucky than good!"

Well I guess I get lucky today!  Absolutely mint NIB 9500SS with Brass Gears!  Thank you SAL!!!!  Previous owner must have just made a mistake on the description. 

To all: may all your holiday wishes come true!

Andy

><)))">

mo65

WOW! Great buy Andy...and great tip Sal! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 13, 2016, 08:49:59 PM
Score! ;D

Found one of the OEM handles from Europe in Australia on a 9500SS that has a price tag of WAY OUT OF THIS WORLD.  So the hunt continues!

Andy
><)))">

Alto Mare

It was my pleasure Andy, I'm glad it worked out.
The reel was listed at the same time I got on and you grabbed it within minutes from me notified you, great team work :).
I usually grab the new ones at around $150, this one was unusually low and I knew it wouldn't last long.

Enjoy it Andy!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Keta

I thought the 7500SS was large, then I got a 9500SS. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain