Penn SS noise from spool

Started by D1FISHR, August 30, 2016, 05:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1FISHR

I searched the forum, and didn't find a write up on this. If it has already been covered, forgive me. I just wanted to contribute to the site.
What I had was a noise on a Penn 4300 SS. Interesting observation: when the reel was upside down, the noise went away. I own two spools with this reel, and the noise was identical with both spools. This led me to believe that the spool was traveling downward and hitting the rotor.

First, I dissembled and reassambled the spool assemblies. The noise remained. I now suspected some play in the spool shaft. I did feel a little play with the spool attached, but Penn reels have tolerances that historically have a little play. I was determined to resolve this on this reel.

Second course of action- open this baby up. I thought there may be an issue with the crosswind arm attaching to the spool shaft in the gearbox. So, I backed out the screw, pulled the shaft, and inspected. Interesting observation at this point- the hole in the shaft for the crosswind screw was a little bowled on the side facing the crosswind arm. So, I figured "let's rotate this 180° and reinstall." I put the side plate back on and started cranking, but the noise remained. I believed it was better, but I still wanted to solve this problem.
I carfully observed the stroke of the spool and it's relation to the rotor. I still believed this was a simple issue. 

Finally, something clicked, and I realized this was a surface metal on metal noise. When pulling off the spool, I looked down at the rotor.  There is a little brass colored component that was standing just proud of the surface of the rotor. I took a little file and removed a little material. The noise went away after a few strokes with the file. It probably had nothing to do with the crosswind and shaft all along. It was likely an assembly issue that revealed itself as the reel broke in. I'm sure we have all encountered parts that needed a little material removed to work a little better... smoother.

Thanks for checking out my write up. If one person finds it helpful, that's good for me.

thorhammer

huh......I have a couple that make a sound  as you describe....i'm gonna check that....thanks.

D1FISHR

Thorhammer, any luck?  Did this help?