Advice needed in setting up new reel!

Started by steppenwolph, September 13, 2016, 09:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steppenwolph

Hello all,
I have just discovered this wonderful board and have been just amazed by all the great information found here.  Although I have been hobby fishing for most of my life, I am a complete novice when it comes to baitcasting reels, having fished with spincasters all my life.  I live in northern lower Michigan, and fish the small lakes and rivers near me.  I am about 1 1/2 hours drive from Lake Michigan, and so maybe a couple of trips to the lake shore during summer to try my luck there.
I've jumped in and bought a Shimano Calcutta CT200B reel, and I am looking for some advice in pairing it up with an appropriate rod, and some line.  I was thinking that a 'medium' action Ugly Stick and some braided 30 lb. test would be good, but I freely admit that I am in over my head with all the options.  The 30 lb  test line seems insanely large, but I really like braided line and didn't want too small of a line diameter.
Given the kind of fishing I do, freshwater species, mainly northern pike, bass, perch, walleye, etc., what kind of rod would you all recommend?  Thanks in advance for your replies, and my most heartfelt gratitude to Mr. Alan Tani for all the time and effort he has put in to create this board.
Regards,
Wayne

Bill B

Wayne, welcome to site.  Im sure others will chime in, but I have fished the Calcutta with 20lb mono (no braid) for King Salmon here on the Sacramento Delta and felt the 20lb mono gave me good feel and control for fish up to 36 lbs.  30 lb braid would be a good choice with a top shot of 20 lb mono.

A rod of 7-8' would be a good choice with a line class of 15-30 lb.  Its important you do a pre-service of your new reel, there are good tutorials in the Shimano thread to help and we are all here to help also.  Dont be afraid to ask questions. Of course these are just my opinions and others will follow.   BTW we love pictures and look forward to pictures of all catches and equipment.

Tight lines.......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Quote from: steppenwolph on September 13, 2016, 09:52:46 PM
I've jumped in and bought a Shimano Calcutta CT200B reel, and I am looking for some advice in pairing it up with an appropriate rod, and some line.  I was thinking that a 'medium' action Ugly Stick and some braided 30 lb. test would be good, but I freely admit that I am in over my head with all the options.  The 30 lb  test line seems insanely large, but I really like braided line and didn't want too small of a line diameter.

I think your rod and reel choices sound great for those species you're targeting. The 30lb. braid will do fine...it's not too large at all. You're correct about diameter, going too thin can lead to headaches with a baitcaster. You can use a variety of mono or fluoro leaders with that braided mainline, going lighter for the bass and perch, or heavier for pike. I'll agree with Bill also...a quality 20lb. mono will fish great for pike or catfish.8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Okay you got some good advice.  Now go fishing, catch some fish and post pictures.  Remember it didn't happen if there are no pictures.  :D Oh yeah, welcome to the site.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

That's a nice reel, you might consider getting a custom rod to go with it. A rod custom made for your size and style of fishing would allow you to get the most out of the reel. I'm sure there's a few rod builders in your area that could be helpful. Just a thought, nothing wrong with an ugly stick.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steppenwolph

Thanks for the replies, Gentlemen!
I will post some pictures of the new rod and reel set up when it gets put together.  My concern with going with higher pound test mono is line capacity.  This is a fairly small reel, and will hold 120 yards of 14 lb. test mono.  The capacity for 20 lb. test is not given, but I was thinking that 120 yards of line is something of a minimum.  It will hold 135 yards of 40 lb. PowerPro, so I am thinking of using braided line mainly based on how much line the reel can hold.  Given the versatility of this reel, I rather thought that it could be paired with a couple of different rods, depending on the fish being sought.  I just don't want to have to respool line if I get the chance to go fish some Coho, just switch rods and be done.
I've been reading about spooling line, lubrication of the bearings, and the carbontex drag upgrade (which I plan to do over the winter) but I haven't seen anything about a preservice for this reel.  Any links?  I am a tinkerer by nature, and enjoy working on the equipment.  I think that's why I got into this in the first place.  I'm standing there, pushing the button on my spincaster thinking, "This is just not complicated enough!"
I am really impressed with this reel.  I had wanted the 'D' model, but the 'B' is half the price, and that does matter at this point.  Still, the reel is built like a tank.  The frame is really impressive, the fit and finish are very well done.  The reel is made in Japan and seems very smooth to operate.  I didn't want to buy too much reel just for small freshwater fishing that I do, but this reel is very compact.  Smaller than my spincasters.  Still, if it can pull in a 36 lb King Salmon, then it will more than handle anything I'm likely to encounter!  Thanks for all the input!

Rancanfish

I have fished for a few species with 20lb Power Pro.  Never lost a fish, but have broken off on the bottom.

That is a small reel as you say, but I wouldn't be afraid to fish it with the drag set right.  I have my Penn 955 set up w/ 20lb PP too.  It's way tougher than you think unless you drag it across a rock or the like.

I think you would handle all the species mentioned easily.  For the pike I don't know, but I would think that is more about the leader?

Just fish it, it'll handle it.

Good luck.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

Wayne, a pre-service is a tear down, clean and lube the bearings, grease the drags with Cal's or Shimano Drag grease (add carbon fiber drags if not present) grease the screw holes and the insides...as you are fishing fresh water not salt water, we are not TOO concerned with salt corrosion, but I would still do it...set your drags to 30% of the breaking strength and if you are using a 20 lb top shot on this reel 5 lbs is enough...dont put too much thought into this, remember fishing is about having fun, I went fishing today after work and didnt put bait on my hook so the fish wouldnt bother me   ::)... at least thats my story for not catching any fish..... ;D    Bill, Fish Nutritionist II  
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steppenwolph

Thanks for all the info, gentlemen.  Absolutely, the reel will handle anything that I will encounter inland, and most anything I can hook out on Lake Michigan, as well.  I was just thinking that the reel might be a little too 'cute.'  But it is built tough, there are no concerns there.
@Rancanfish:  Yes, for pike, a steel leader is essential.  They have sharp teeth that will cut line.

But I have a question concerning the type of rod.  Is the 'trigger' found on baitcasting rods essential?  Or can one take or leave it?  The reason I ask is that the Ugly Stik in the baitcasting configuration I want only comes as a one piece rod.  That is impractical.  It needs to fit in the trunk of my car.  However, the spinning version (same thing minus the trigger?) comes in a two piece.  So, trigger or no trigger?  Thoughts?

mo65

Quote from: steppenwolph on September 15, 2016, 10:39:51 PM
So, trigger or no trigger?  Thoughts?

Well...the trigger issue might not be the big issue here...I'd think the rod guides would be the big problem.

steppenwolph

Quote from: mo65 on September 15, 2016, 11:26:04 PM
Quote from: steppenwolph on September 15, 2016, 10:39:51 PM
So, trigger or no trigger?  Thoughts?

Well...the trigger issue might not be the big issue here...I'd think the rod guides would be the big problem.

How so?  I mean, aren't they mostly the same?

mo65

Quote from: steppenwolph on September 15, 2016, 11:46:34 PM
How so?  I mean, aren't they mostly the same?

Oh no...not at all. The spinning rod guides are on the bottom of a rod while the casting rod guides are on top. They are sized very different too. Spinning rod guides are huge close to the reel...this allows the loops of line coming off the spinning reel to get through the first guide easier. Look at some photos of rods...you'll see what I'm talking about. Check Amazon for 2 piece Ugly Stiks.

oc1

I hate the triggers and have been known to put a LP baitcasting reel on a nine foot TICA spinning rod.  It's the only rod I have right now for throwing one ounce lures.  The spinning guides do not seem to be as large now that they're using the concept system.  When used for baitcasting, spinning rods also have the spine and the reel seat upside down, both of which can be an inconvenience.  There was a time when it was fashionable to wrap spinning guides on surf rods to squeeze a few extra yards out of a Squidder.
-steve

steppenwolph

Well, I've gone and done some shopping for a rod to pair up with my Calcutta 200, and here it is:
The Ugly Stik Bigwater Salmon/Steelhead Casting rod.  Quite the mouthful.

I've only just shown the 'data plate' here, since you can all imagine the rest.  It should do nicely, I hope.

Here it is with the reel mounted:

I still need to take it apart and grease the drag, and then spool it up, but that will be a winter project.  Right now I'm busy with a new job, and it's coming up on deer season here in Michigan.  Gotta go sight in the rifle.

On a lighter note, I brought a book home from the library on how to fish for walleye.  My wife looks at it and says, "You mean that's ALL this book is about?  What else is there to say but 'Put your hook in the water?'"

mo65