Prolite PL-100 Tune Up

Started by mo65, September 15, 2016, 11:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

One of these little Daiwas was my first baitcaster. I saw one on eBay a few years ago and decided I wanted one again. I bought it for 15 bucks...cleaned and lubed it...and fished it. I noticed last time on the water the drag was sticky, and since I use this reel for trolling crankbaits, that drag needs to be smooth. If I snag a stump I want it to slip nice and easy...no start up or chatter. Crankbaits ain't cheap, and if the line don't bust we can usually retrieve the lure. I figured while I was changing drag washers, I might as well upgrade the stock bronze spool bushings to ball bearings also.

When I was a kid I was the envy of the neighborhood with one of these...a great little reel.

Stock bushing removal is a cinch, just pop out the wire retainers, but make sure you have a good hold on them. Note the small grey centrifugal brakes on the spool...these worked great with the bushings.

The new bearings installed. I had to change the centrifugal brakes to the larger black ones. These reels came with two sets, and lucky for me the larger black ones were still in the box. I believe you could fashion your own though...maybe use beads or something...try different sizes until you find what works.

Now is where it gets tricky. The drag washer kit I ordered off eBay was a bust...ID and OD on both washers was way wrong! I used a drill to get the ID right...and scissors for the OD. How do you like my hi-tec drilling set up? That's the stock under gear spacer above the new one, showing how ridiculously wrong the size was! >:(

OK...sizing corrected...but the one inside the main gear is way too thin! It has to be thicker than that inside lip on the gear or the metal top washer just grinds on the gear.

I just slapped a #6-113 on top, and it brought me back to stock height.

Good grief...glad this is over...slathered with Cal's and ready to button up! ;D

Here's the reel mounted to the rod I fish it on, just a modest Berkley Cherrywood, but a great match for this old warrior. The new drags are super...no start up...just what I was looking for. Casting is improved also, almost too free for my fumble thumb! :D

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

So many good usable reels out there at more than fair prices. This one looks like a keeper....Jeff

mo65

This combo is great for trolling crankbaits for crappie. There's nothing finer that a skillet full of crappie fillets frying. 8)

thorhammer

Dang you actually fish. Novel concept. I have serious cabin fever.

To the point I picked up one of these at a flea market a couple weeks ago for five bucks. Let's see what I can do. Nice post.

mo65

Five bucks well spent John...these little reels have the ability to fish very well. The stock drag washer is usually sticky, with a lot of "start up". Just lap the pressure plate and slap a greased carbon fiber in there and enjoy! 8)

steelhead_killer

Those are nice!  The only ones we ever caught would fit in your hand.  Monsters! 

Andy
><)))">

swill88

Mo you are my hero! Keep posting these gems please.

One of these days I will too.

Thanks.

Steve

oc1

Nice one Mo.  You need to buy some carbontex from that guy in Australia.  A few small sheets in different thicknesses comes in really handy.  Hand cut drag washers are not pretty but work just as well.  No one will know after they are coated in grease and buttoned up inside the reel.
-steve

mo65

Here's another post that was wrecked with photobucket's hostage pics. Edited with flickr hosted photos and back to it's full glory...carry on...8)