SL20SH upgrade

Started by m4ttt0, September 21, 2016, 06:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m4ttt0

Hey guys i hear that there is an upgrade for this reel where you can change out the bushing for a bearing so that the reel can have even better freespool. So does anyone know the size of that bearing?

Fish-aholic

If you want better freespool, your money would be better spent purchasing TSI 321.

If the bushing has been contaminated with grease/dirt, freespool will be slightly hindered due to an increase in friction. All that is necessary is to keep the bushing clean and lightly oiled with the same lube used for the spool bearings and then forget about it.

The bushing is merely there to support the spool axle when the spool is under load because the axle does not have the same contact with the bushing (loose fit) as it does with the inner races of the spool bearings (tight fit).

For achieving better freespool concentrate on thoroughly cleaning the spool bearings first. Then you have a choice of differing oil viscosities to lube them with, hence my TSI 321 suggestion as this is a very slick lube. Then you have to bear in mind all the friction points placed upon the spool axle; shim below the left spool bearing, the two spool bearings, inner bore of the pinion gear, the bushing and the shim below the spool tension cap. All these points should be clean and very lightly lubricated. Even the area on the cage where the lip of the spool is retained should be taken into consideration due to possible build up of dirt and salt through use. Keep this area clean. 

With minimal lateral play set with the spool tension cap, and a spool full of line taped down, you should be able to tune the slosh to achieve 30-40 seconds of freespool with a bench test. This should be more than ample for anyone's needs.  ;D

Steve

SoCalAngler

I did this to a BG20H and this is what I found. I if I remember correctly the bushing/bearing is the same size in the SL20SH as the BG20H.

http://alantani.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=4auerljgu2goouqu2v80824cl3&topic=9793.0

the bearing upgrade is not really needed IMO

m4ttt0

Thanks guys, i have already cleaned the bearings out with TSI321 i was just wondering if i can get it to be even smoother.

SoCalAngler

The Slosh reels, SL-SH's have very lightweight spools so no matter what you do they will never get a ton of freespool like some other reels when just flicking the spool and timing it, but for casting smaller baits, lures or flylinning live bait these reels do just fine, trust me.

In the thread I posted there was mention of cleaning and lubing the pinion and spool shaft and taking off the shields on the spool bearings. Other than that not a lot needs to be done to these reels.

m4ttt0

The spool is why i wanted to use this reel more for the smaller baits i just thought that the bearing would make it spin better but thanks for the help letting me know i dont need it.