a question not related to this forum

Started by trishul, July 25, 2011, 07:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trishul

hi guys i know this is off topic however i was wondering if is it normal for a brand new rod to make a creeking sound when u bend it a bit has anyone experienced this? and is it normal thanks and cheers

alantani

yup!  it's a crackling sound that has always made me just a little nervous.....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Yes,ring whippings and other factors contribute to the creaking sound you heard. Don't worry about it. Noise will disappear after you have caught some good fish on it. ;D

Bryan Young

A complete rod, yes it's normal.  It used to freak me out esp. after I just wrapped and coated the rod.  Then, I learned that I only hear the sound on completed rods.  Not blanks or wrapped but not coated rods.  So, I presume that it must be the epoxy breaking from surface tension.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Normslanding

Back in the 60's I had a Trueline 6X. I decided to wrap the rod using Flecto Varathane. The stuff had been used for a while on party boat mahogany rails. Talk about noise, it made a lot of  creaking, and cracking noises. My conclusion was just cracking, and the Varmac  guides moving against the varnish.

trishul

thanks alot guys now i can sleep without having nightmares about the rod it also seems fine as i can dead lift 7 killos dumbell with it without a prob  ;D im sure if it was a faulty rod it would break

Dominick

Did you ever think that the rod was singing?  Happy to be fishing?  Happy happy being flexed and cared for?  :)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.