Custom Calcutta bamboo gaffs

Started by Adams Khanh, October 08, 2016, 08:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adams Khanh

Rods aren't the only thing I make and repair I also do make Calcutta bamboo gaffs here's a set of bamboo gaff.
So here's some goodies I make them from 2-8 ft and they do float just in case they do go over board you'll be able to retrieve them back.

oc1

Tiddlerbasher

Tightlines667

Nice work.

Makes the ones I just built look like crude implements.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Real nice, I would haing one in my shop and not use it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Really beautiful!

Do the bamboo gaffs float?

Tightlines667

Quote from: swill88 on October 08, 2016, 06:31:25 PM
Really beautiful!

Do the bamboo gaffs float?

Absolutely!

Light weight, strong, they float, and you can cut them to any size you like.  I built 2 last week.  I used waxed marine rigging rope, and coated them in epoxy. 

*They are in the starboard shotguns.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Adams Khanh

Thanks guys, and yes they do float I've tested them my self with go pros mounted on them they float fine. Lots of flex and super light weight. Take a while to make but they do come out really nice inhabea couple more photos but I'll post them later.

Bill B

Adam you took a utilitarian tool and made it an Art....they look too good to use... ;) but that wouldn't stop me  ;D. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on October 08, 2016, 03:20:07 PM

my exact thoughts

too dang beautiful

Adam, did you cured the bamboo poles or bought them already cured ?
I have some bamboo plants and two of them have dry canes and I have a solitary gaff hook, I was thinking to make me a bamboo Gaff but not sure how to cure the canes to avoid having them cracked later

The Baja Guy

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Adams Khanh

Quote from: steelfish on October 13, 2016, 04:31:36 PM
Quote from: Keta on October 08, 2016, 03:20:07 PM

my exact thoughts

too dang beautiful

I buy them cured they been dried and I wouldn't use just any regular bamboo Calcutta bamboo is the strongest

Adam, did you cured the bamboo poles or bought them already cured ?
I have some bamboo plants and two of them have dry canes and I have a solitary gaff hook, I was thinking to make me a bamboo Gaff but not sure how to cure the canes to avoid having them cracked later