PG 280 vs PG ABS 280S vs Violator

Started by BL90292, September 27, 2016, 12:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BL90292

For all the Pro Gear Experts out there,

Is there any easy way to tell if a PG 280 is the first series or the New Pro Gear Albacore Special series ?

I tried to do some research and have found 2 different images

1) Printed letterings without engraving 

2) More common with engraved Pro Gear Letterings

Is that a good way to differentiate the two series ?

I also found a lot of references to compare the Pro Gear New Albacore Series with the CS new classic series. 
How about between the original Albacore Special & the new Albacore Special ?

Finally, how would you rank an ABS 280-S with the new Violator V22 ?
ABS 280S was rated for 300 yards of 20.
V20 was rated for 370 yards of 15.
Both should be able to handle 20lb+ of drag which are more than enough for a small reel.

Thank you !

Benjamin

Rancanfish

No expert but I think the second pic is of the original series.  The first pic looks like the later CS models.

The AS series are different (from the CS) in that they had a third bearing on the spool shaft is my understanding.  

I am not experienced with tuna but I wouldn't be afraid to throw either reel against 30-60lb'ers from my research.  

If I knew I had a chance of running into bigger fish I'd want to use the AS540.  I think new and old were the same except for appearance.

I recently got a text from a guy with a big tuna he caught on the new PG Violator 52.  He said it was very smooth during the fight.  I'm still waiting for someone to break one down and show us what's new inside.

Our MarkT here is a long time ProGear user that you could ask just about any PG question.

hope that helped.  Edited to clarify what I was saying in second sentence. (In parethesis).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

MarkT

The new ones are laser etched.  The originals are stenciled. Mine are laser etched.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL