ABU 9000CL 1984

Started by Archiebabe, March 27, 2011, 08:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archiebabe

Hello, I am a new member with a question. Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction! I have an 1984 9000CL ABU which I have partially disassembled. I was expecting the spool to drop out of the left hand side plate , but, it appears fixed. Ive read the breakdown for the 10000cl from Big T (Excellent pics and info) which mentions using some brute force. I've used a fair bit of brute force, but, its solid and I am wondering if I am missing a trick. Any help will be gratefully received. Cheers Nigel 

alantani

any way to check if the bearings or pinion gear are rusted to the spool shaft?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Archiebabe

Hi Alan , unfortunately I cant see the problem area. When i take off the end spool tension cap I cant see the end of the spindle as I expected (as with other ABUs) instead theres a plastic white disc visible which moves when i move the spool the couple of millimetres it will move. I am assuming its attached to the spool (as you can see I am confused). I can breakdown virtually any other ABU but i havent had a two speed apart before. I am trying to remove the spool to replace it with another one in much better condition. Thanks again

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Archiebabe

Success! It just took a bit more pressure than I thought. The edges of the original spool were badly pitted & corroded which is strange as the rest of the reel is very, very good apart from what looks like a replacement ABU power handle (a slightly curved affair which I havent seen on other early ABUs). Thanks for the advice and I will be saving this site as a favourite. Cheers for now