These Guys Weren't Ready to Abandon Ship

Started by ChileRelleno, October 06, 2016, 08:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

No PFDs
No EPIRB
No VHF
Nothing but a cooler, an anchor buoy and some rope.

They better be thanking God that their potentially deadly situation came out with the best case scenario.
And I hope the three cases of beer were really good beer and not some cheap suds.  ;)

Story here,
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/10/03/fishermen-rescued-23-miles-offshore/91493182/

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Gfish

Thanks for posting that link C.R. I got the EPRIB, PFD, but it hollars out to me:"

get a FLARE GUN!".
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Gfish on October 06, 2016, 08:58:49 PM
Thanks for posting that link C.R. I got the EPRIB, PFD, but it hollars out to me:"

get a FLARE GUN!".
Gfish
VHF for the boat and personal PFD, and don't forget some smoke!

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 06, 2016, 09:16:32 PM
Lucky guys right there.
Very lucky, but I'm actually a bit surprised that several boats passed them by.
When I go out on a boat/fishing, anything floating gets inspected for fish.

Also, if they hadn't been found before nightfall, you could about guarantee at least one would've succumbed to exposure/exhaustion.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

All my pfd are equipped with either AIS DSC devices or PLB and a VHF radio and a  signal light.
I have Epirb and VHF radios onboard
Inflatable rescue pod and ditch bag.  With extra radios, and flare gun and water.
You won't find me clinging to any coolers, unless there's a lot of fish in it I don't want to lose.
These guys are lucky beyond belief.  Glad it all worked out for them.  Looks like the water is FAC and a lot warmer than our waters.

steelfish

wow, thats a lot of missing safe devices.

my kids dont leave me go fishing if I dont carry my own PFD with me (normally you use the one that the captain of the panga give you, but nobody use them, the normal excuses are, they are too ugly, too small, too big, too uncomfortable, etc ), Im some of the few "crazy" guys that wears a PFD when the boat is on movement.

The Baja Guy

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Anyone know the lag time between activating an EPRIB and the beggining of search n' rescue operations( i.e., actual mobilizing and getting out on, or over the water).
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Gfish on October 07, 2016, 02:12:10 AM
Anyone know the lag time between activating an EPRIB and the beggining of search n' rescue operations( i.e., actual mobilizing and getting out on, or over the water).
Gfish

It depends on where you are located at how long it takes them to confirm the EPIRB signal.

My experience has been that the signal is can typically be confirmed as a real emergency with 30minutes to an hour.  It may take an additional 1-3 hours to commit resources, and mobilize.  It then depends on where you are in relation to those resources, as to when you can expect to have eyes on scene.  Often an all points call is issued, and the USCG will  do a fly over with a jet, while other resources are mobilized. 

Most of the at sea emergencies our program deals with are well outside of helo range.  This usually results in a jet flying over within 4-6hours, and a passanger ship, or USCG vessel rescuing within 12-24hours.  Granted this has been where emergencies occur between 200-1200nm from land. 

I found it interesting that  the Hawaii region does not have the larger/longer range hellicopters stationed here.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ChileRelleno

Gfish
According to this, https://www.uscg.mil/d13/cfvs/docs/References/Tme_to_Fix_non-GPS_EPIRB.pdf
See pages 11-13, anywhere from 3 minutes to 3 hours depending on whether or not your EPIRB is GPS equipped or not.

ETA: I see Tightlines answered before and with firsthand knowledge of how these operations work.
Ragnar Benson:

David Hall

Guaranteed if you do not have a PLB or epirb broadcasting your position and situation your odds are bad at best.  They will begin broadcasting within seconds of deployment.  Simply knowing that very soon someone will be aware of your desperation and your location, in the case of plbs and Epirbs they will know your name the name of your vessel and where you live and who your emergency contact is and how to contact them.  In addition they will have an idea of how many souls might be with you. 
Cheap insurance in my opinion.

kmstorm64

Gfish

Add some hand held flares as well to your ditch bag, if you make it to shore you can start a fire in a down pour with those things.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!