Abu sx 7700 spool bearing removal ??

Started by sinkerswim, March 27, 2011, 11:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

Spring cleaning going on here. Started a tear down, clean, grease and oil of my sx7700cl. The left side of the spool has a white plastic gear, then a black boxy type thing, which the four pronged brake spokes sit on. Under that is the bearing. Sorry for using "thing" but Abu doesn't name their parts, other than their numbers. ::) I would like to remove the bearing, for service. The white gear on other abu reels had ears that you could pinch to remove, this doesn't. It appears to be permanently attached. I know that couldn't be the case. Does anybody know how to remove this without breaking it??

Thanks

Nessie Hunter

I think this is the schematic for the SX 7700 ..

http://abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/SX7700CL%200500.PDF

I could be way off on this as the schematic is weird!!   But looks like the plastic (probably white nylon) gear is held on with a "C" clip, then a few screws in the contraption (proper technical term), that should get you to the bearing...   
Just a Wild guess after looking at that schematic though?????

http://abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/SX7700CL%200500.PDF
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

i think it snaps right on (and off). 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sinkerswim

Thanks guys,

Nessie I had the original schematic. And, no there isn't a c clip.

Alan, I have no other option but to try and snap it out. It was just in there so tight I didn't want to chance it and create a bigger problem. I'll give it a whirl.

You guys are the best!

sinkerswim

Tried to pry it off with a screwdrivew no good. Almost broke a tooth on a gear. Scratched it slightly but, looks like it will still work. This has me baffled. It did move up about an 1/8" and i was able to spin the brake box from it's seat then back. But, the gears still remain. Anyone?? Big T you're an abu guy? Don't know why they would make this so tough.

sinkerswim

sent an e-mail to purefishing. They said that I'll have to cut the tab with a utility knife. But, once I do I'll have to purchase a new cog. How's that for user friendly! Oh well, the bearing isn't siezed and I'll just add a drop or two of corrosion x. But, it will remain a sealed bearing. Would have liked to removed the seals run it open with some tsi 301. But, don't want to go through the hassle of ordering plus the shipping costs. Not to mention the time. This stinks. And, the reel is over ten years old and I'm certain the bearing has some varnish buildup. But, like I said it isn't siezed. Chalk this up to bad design.