Diawa Millionaire 3RM info

Started by Brewcrafter, January 03, 2020, 05:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

Hoping for some background on this reel.

It is an estate reel that I have laying around and am looking at playing with over the winter.  Seems to work fine; probably just needs a good clean and tune and new line.  There is a great tutorial of a later model here in the forum (thanks!  I think Mo did it), and truthfully it looks pretty basic (really seems to resemble an ABU) so I am not too worried about tearing into it.  BUT I am mostly interested in: A. Date range of this reel.  I am guessing sometime in the late 80's? (Was my Father in Law's, so that gives me a starting point).  B.  Serial #OB1155 if that means anything or helps to nail it down?  C.  Any thoughts, tips, tricks, things to look out for?  I mostly want to know the history and nomenclature of this reel (how does a 3RM differ from other 3's of the time?  Or vary from the previous or following model?) and I just can't seem to find a lot of Diawa info out there outside of this forum.  But then again I haven't really spent a lot of time trying to KNOW Diawa info, I only have a few them.  I am NOT worried about hotrodding or trying to get big drag numbers, etc out of it - if anything this is going to be a straight cleanup and turn into an inshore reel or maybe a Lake Mohave freshwater rig.  Thanks for any historical/background data that y'all can provide! - john

mo65

You're right, there isn't much info out there on these reels. That's odd...considering the millions of them sold. I'm not savy to the dating of models...there are so many variations...but all of them are so close to an Ambassadeur I doubt you'll have any trouble. Good luck and enjoy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~