Show your favorite "Shelfie"

Started by Maxed Out, October 12, 2016, 01:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, your model f prototype belongs here too, so does Brian's Tuna King (one of the coolest 9/0's in existence for sure.)... and so many more!
Thanks

OK, I had to dust off the old photos. This is impossible to document. I have asked Mr. Henze about it and he does not know why it exists. All the history is speculative as to whether it is a Patent submission build or simply the first Penn reel. I like to think of it as the first Penn, which answers the question of which came first, the Model "F" or the Model "K". What I can say is it is the only Model F prototype frame I have seen that is chrome plated, missing the logo, having a through riveted clicker spring and what I feel is a impossible to duplicate chrome plated Ocean City style clicker button that is riveted. The internals are crude in terms of straight cut gears and no spool bearing inserts. The spool bearing thread directly into the Bakelite. This one is a true first.

steelfish

Quote from: broadway on February 17, 2019, 08:22:22 PM
......... at "La casa de demasiados carretes." LOL

mi casa es su casa !!  :)
The Baja Guy

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Benni3

That's fantastic,,,,love it,,,,I'm just wondering the history,,,who was fishing it,,,, ;D

1badf350

Benni I would have to say nobody! That baby is clean
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Benni3

Quote from: 1badf350 on February 19, 2019, 12:17:44 AM
Benni I would have to say nobody! That baby is clean
ok,,,,, but my grandfather and my dad have showed me big fish,,,, ;) so when I catch one I would like to do it with this 1934 Colorado and keep the history going,,,,,, ;D

broadway

Mike, it never gets old looking at that baby. It raises soooo many questions to say the least. 
Did you acquire that through a private sale or ebay or other?  Just curious how you spotted it to be a "Penn reel?" being it's so different from the other model f's?
Thanks for sharing it here on this thread where it belongs.
Benni, I would say no one used it other than to test it "in house" is my guess.
Dom
PS- Benni, that's an early '34 coronado with head plate screws... great find!

Penn Chronology

Those Coronados with the screwed head plates are sort of rare. They are a transition reel. Not too many of them exist.

The Model F prototype came to me through a friend. He was one of the authors of the Penn history article in the 2005 Penn catalog. I do not know how he got the reel; but, I do know he was very well connected with people in the Penn factory before I was and he had a good amount of very special items. He basically needed the money. I believe he contacted a few people; but, since he lived near me, I was able to go directly to his house the following day and buy it from him quickly. It was not cheap. He had a price in mind. When I asked him how he came up with a value he told me that he wanted to get enough money to buy a new AR 15 rifle. So I bought it and he got his new gun. I think I get the better part of the deal.

1badf350

These are not "new" finds. But they are new to me. If Dom posts his model F we can get all of them all on one page!

-Chris

milne

Chris
When I manage to pick my jaw off the floor,
I'll comment on your beautiful reels.

Col

Penn Chronology

QuoteThese are not "new" finds. But they are new to me. If Dom posts his model F we can get all of them all on one page!

Those are some of the nicest survivor prototypes "K's" around. They are also very correct. Beautiful reels.

Maxed Out

Magnifico !!

Are those model k reels from Brian Purrone (Oceanreels) ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

-Chris

Maxed Out

You're a lucky dog !!...those model K's are best of the best

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

1badf350

I really like this first year 12/0 too

-Chris