Penn 360 - Trouble removing Line Roller, Roller Washer & Roller Ball Bearing

Started by drichitt, March 28, 2011, 02:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drichitt

I just finished service on a buddy's 360 Slammer reel and everything was going great until I tried to remove the Line Roller(#35), Washer(#132) and Line Roller Ball Bearing (#35A) from the Bail Wire (#24). The line roller is just not rotating like it should and I really need to get at the bearings inside the roller. I have soaked it down with PB Blaster over-night but just can't get this group of parts to let go of one another. Have anyone here experienced this and/or does anyone have an idea what I should try next. Thanks...Don

Here is the reel and bail:

Here is a close-up of where I think the problem might be:
???

Irish Jigger

Place  roller end in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Twist roller (containing ball bearing) off using pliers and leather/nylon strip to prevent damaging rotor. Ball bearing  may be rusted to bail arm spindle and could  remain there after removal of roller. Chinese Stainless Ball Bearings all go this way! ;)

Alto Mare

Irish Jigger hit the nail on the head. Tell your buddy to get himself one of those work horse made in the good old USA, that would really be helping him out. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

drichitt

Thank you much for the help. It took awhile but that boiling water did the trick. The inner ring (race?) of the bearing was corroded to the spindle from the bail. That inner ring was also damaged, or in the process of coming apart. Also discovered that there was no Line Roller Washer (#132-5600) where the schematic showed there should be. Thanks to you all I have salvaged the bail wire and the roller. Is there a better replacement roller ball bearing to use, other than the stock bearing (#35A-706) sold at mysticparts.com? Thanks....Don

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Irish Jigger

Glad you got it apart. I would go ahead with the standard mysticparts bearing (well lubricated) and replace it every year as it will always corrode due to water ingress. Alto Mare's advice is good as the USA made Penns had a brass bush instead of a ball bearing in the line roller and they were virtually trouble free.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

paal

That ball bearing is bound to seize, because like all other bearings it is only partially filled with grease. Luckily, you can remove the seal by carefully pulling out the locking ring using a really sharp hook. Pack the bearing with your preferred grease, and put the seal back.

Alto Mare

That ball bearing is not the only thing that will fail on that reel, they just don't make them like they used to. I only had one reel made in China and didn't like what was happening, so I got rid of it for a fraction of what I payed for it. I only own Penn reels made in USA, I use them yearly and treat them with respect. With the exception of a few scrapes here and there, they look the same  as the day I purchased them.  Now my reels perform a little better, thanks to Alan and his great tips. Just my 2 cents, take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

paal

I guess you are refering to all the other half-packed bearings, plus the one-way clutch bearing? :)
The rest of the reel seems pretty solid. I took mine apart and packed all the bearings (except clutch, which received a little ReelX). It's very simple to work on this reel, so I have high hopes that it will last a while. With periodic maintentance, of course. But that line roller bearing is probably the weak link, since it marinates in salt water.
BTW: I have older Penns as well, so I know what you mean.

drichitt

Thanks again. Glad to see Scott's is back up and running so I will go ahead and finish up my order to include a few new things for this reel. Arrrggghh....they are unable to show me my previous orders :'( with the new catalog/website.

Alto Mare

Quote from: paal on March 29, 2011, 02:45:56 PM
I guess you are refering to all the other half-packed bearings, plus the one-way clutch bearing? :)
The rest of the reel seems pretty solid. I took mine apart and packed all the bearings (except clutch, which received a little ReelX). It's very simple to work on this reel, so I have high hopes that it will last a while. With periodic maintentance, of course. But that line roller bearing is probably the weak link, since it marinates in salt water.
BTW: I have older Penns as well, so I know what you mean.

No, not just the bearings, the finish on the frame and other parts as well, also the scews. The reel would probably last a wyle, but it will require more frequent maintenance schedual than usual.....depending on your fishing style. I'm glad you have the older US models, those are the only choice for me. Take care, Sal