Damaged reel foot finish - how to prevent corrosion

Started by Sea_Raven, October 13, 2016, 08:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea_Raven

I found a small issue with my Saltiga. It's really nothing, but I don't want it to get worse:
The foot of my Saltiga must've been pressed a little hard last time I tightened my PacBay aluminium reel seat and now a tiny part of the finish came off.
It doesn't look nice and usually it's also well protected in the reel seat. However if corrosion would develop, it could get nasty.

What should I do best?
Nothing?
Add some CorrosionX?
Try to cover it with some Epoxy?
Throw the reel since it's damaged beyond repair?

Any advice is highly welcome!

Is there a way to fix it again? Or at least seal it again permanently?

Also: Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I don't remember using much force when tightening. I just tightened until the reel would sit tight..

Decker

Never tried it but I have heard you can use a Sharpie to coat exposed aluminum and prevent corrosion.

Bill B

SR.....just pack it up and send it to me for disposal.....no questions asked....I wont tell anyone... ;D

Seriously though, I would just use some corrosionx, if used in salt water add a little grease.....really no way to prevent the scratching and I would consider it normal wear and tear....some might call it boat rash....I would call it fishing your gear....jmo......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RiverAngler

I agree with Bill. It's "boat rash" and a little grease will keep it from corroding.  Put some inside the hood of the reel seat as well.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

steelfish

your best bet (IMHO) is to use some car scratch fix paint, go to your automotive store of preference and search for a one that looks similar, and just paint it with the small brush.
car paint is pretty though and will handle normal wear and tear.
save the small paint can to do it again if necesary.

The Baja Guy

handi2

Fix the rod so it wont do it anymore. Use a piece of electrical tape.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Sea_Raven

Thank you guys for all the advice.
So I will try to prevent corrosion and in the long term think about a solution.

Quote from: steelfish on October 13, 2016, 10:41:59 PM
your best bet (IMHO) is to use some car scratch fix paint, go to your automotive store of preference and search for a one that looks similar, and just paint it with the small brush.
car paint is pretty though and will handle normal wear and tear.
save the small paint can to do it again if necesary.

Thank you, that's a great idea! I should even be able to find something in metallic blue. I shall stop by some body shops close by to see if they have something.

Obviously there are even products to prevent this.

(Source:https://sg.carousell.com/thebigbellytackle/)

But there is a cheaper way:

I should try this to protect my reels from further damage..

ez2cdave

Quote from: RiverAngler on October 13, 2016, 10:09:23 PM
I agree with Bill. It's "boat rash" and a little grease will keep it from corroding.  Put some inside the hood of the reel seat as well.

Ralph

AGREED . . . Best bet !

Tight Lines !