Quick Finnessa Trouble

Started by handi2, October 16, 2016, 10:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Hello Fred,

I just got a super clean Quick Finnessa and the spool shaft and cross pin are hitting the top of the pinion gear. Not just a little. It's enough where you dont want to reel past that point but it will.

I could take a little off the pinion gear and worry about line lay later. I dont think it will be used.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

It is a close fit, Keith -- but unless parts have been switched improperly -- all should work without bottoming out.

Make sure the bearing is seated fully onto the worm drive shaft (Pinion) -- plus make sure the bearing is seating all of the way completely down into the bearing cup.

These are a tight tolerance fit -- many times requiring tapping into place with a nylon, wood, or rubber mallet.

Also check to see if the oscillation arm is starting at a forward point when installing the keeper pin screw into the spool axle.

There are variations in this most popular of all of the Quicks over the years -- so parts from 1960 may be different from a decade later.

If you can picture this -- sometimes you can just back off the installation of the bearing a couple of mils -- then the natural orientation of the rear part of the worm drive shaft may be back just enough to clear the cross pin when bottoming out.

Very occasionally, on some models of Finessas -- the spool axle with have (2) holes at the back where it attaches to the oscillation arm or cross wind block.

Or you can file it -- or just send it to me and I will get it going with all of the parts and reels I have for the Finessa.

You will likely figure it out with your professional mechanical skills, though.

Best of luck -- glad to help if possible.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Fred it must be the oscillation arm. I went thru the reel with a fine tooth comb. The original bearing was excellent and used a socket to make sure it was set. (I will do it again).

I did notice that the hole in the oscillating arm is larger than the set screw. With the set screw in the arm will still wiggle around just a little. Im sure this is okay because it has to pivot.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

I got back into this reel today and figured it out.

The reel must have been hit hard on top of the spool even though it doesn't show.

The crosswind arm was bent too long and was pulling the spool shaft too far down into the reel.

I bent the arm in a vise a little at a time until it was reeling free again. Then I had to tweek a little more to get the fishing line to go on straight.

Now its up on the shelf.
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Great, Keith!

Good work and diagnosing...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.