titanium wire wahoo leaders (photos and video)

Started by alantani, October 19, 2016, 10:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

I didn't know Nicopress made a swedger that small.
I gotta have one of those!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Aiala

Too complicated for me... I just tie an old-fashioned Haywire Twist in single-strand wire; which, although a bit tough on the fingers, hasn't failed me yet.   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

what material are the crimps - stainless, brass, aluminium??
I'm about to try some of the titanium wire for the first time (managed to find a supplier in the UK).
Alan I like your mods to the el cheapo crimping pliers - it makes a lot of sense ;) (that is I'm going to steal the idea ;D)

RowdyW

Tiddlerbasher

oc1

I don' fish anything that heavy any more, but always liked Aiala's haywire twist better than crimps.  Crimps are faster, but not stronger.  Also, you can look at a haywire twist and know whether or not everything is OK.  When you put on a crimp you never know for sure what you have underneath.  Too tight?  Too loose?

I've never used titanium wire and do not even know if a twist is possible with it.
-steve

conchydong

Quote from: oc1 on October 21, 2016, 08:22:35 PM
I don' fish anything that heavy any more, but always liked Aiala's haywire twist better than crimps.  Crimps are faster, but not stronger.  Also, you can look at a haywire twist and know whether or not everything is OK.  When you put on a crimp you never know for sure what you have underneath.  Too tight?  Too loose?

I've never used titanium wire and do not even know if a twist is possible with it.
-steve

Titanium should be tied in knots or crimped. It's not like regular single strand where the haywire twist is the best option.

otownjoe

I found the titanium was  stronger when crimped. It could  be I wasn't tying it correctly.

Makule

What are the differences between the titanium and stainless wires?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

alantani

Titanium is superior in every way.  Stainless steel is often single use, kinks easily.  I gave up on it a long time ago.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

yes the titanium wire also good for making springs, also for springs in the Alvey reels, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

philaroman