Mitchel question for the experts

Started by Ron Jones, October 20, 2016, 04:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

OK gents, a bit of trivia I hope you can help with.

In the near future, I will begin a Mitchell collection, I'll be looking for warhorses that can go on a shelf. I am narrowing this collection to a few reels but I am not certain of all the numbers.
My collection will be all the skirted (9 series) high speed (4 series) left handed (ends in an odd number) reels.
I know that the 499 and 497 exist, but I am having trouble identifying the smaller reels. For instance, I think a 300 sized reel would be a 491 but that doesn't seem to be right.
Can anyone help me figure out what I am looking for?
THANKS!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

foakes

Hi Ron --

300 lefty is a 301

400 is a 401

410 is a 411

308 is a 309

408 is a 409

304 is a 305

306 is a 307

330 is a 331

440 is a 441

302 is a 303

402 is a 403

And it goes on, and on -- but you get the idea.

Skirted spool reels are a little different as production evolved in France, then moved to Japan, then elsewhere

This is just a quick recall from memory -- and I have all of these, and many more.

One of the best sources is Mitchell Museum -- but their website has been infected with dangerous viruses and hacked.

On Whitefish Press or Amazon, there are a few good reference books on Mitchell.

And many folks here could help you with your quest.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cbar45

Quote from: noyb72 on October 20, 2016, 04:31:29 AM

My collection will be all the skirted (9 series) high speed (4 series) left handed (ends in an odd number) reels.

Skirted spools were introduced towards the end of the Garcia-Mitchell partnership, hence only a limited selection of models came with that feature. In the saltwater series there were two high-speeds which you already mentioned, plus a third and final model--the 396/397

For freshwater reels there was the skirted spool 900 and 906. These reels were about equivalent to the 300 and 306 in size, but more refined with roller bearings and higher gear ratios.

They also had a relatively small production window; only a few were made in France with quality on-par with the older Mitchells. Nice reels if you can find them.

Riy2018

Good Day Gurus!
What s the difference between Mitchell 302 and 402?
i see only color and handle but is there any gear differences?

Ron Jones

The 402 is high speed, 5:1 vs 4:1 if I recall correctly.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ron Jones

I am STILL trying to figure out the list!
I know of the 901, 499,497, and have those. But I am not certain what the model numbers of the smaller 9 series Mitchells are. I'm really interested in the smaller ones (like 309 size) for sea run cutthroat in salt water and such.

Thanks
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

Riy2018

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 24, 2021, 12:09:18 AM

The Man
Just got one 302 from flea market. Reels is huge!
Im right handed.
is there a way to change 302 handle to the right side?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Riy2018 on November 25, 2021, 02:54:42 PM
Quote from: Ron Jones on November 24, 2021, 12:09:18 AM

The Man
Im right handed.

No. You would be looking for a 303, or in high speed, 403.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Ron Jones

Im right handed.

[/quote]
I do not understand this at all. Your dominant hand should hold the rod, that is what catches the fish. All the reel hand has to do is turn. South Paws have an advantage with conventionals and most people don't even know it. Fish that reel and enjoy not having to swap hands after a cast. You'll never go back.

The Man
Ronald Jones
"

Riy2018

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 26, 2021, 04:46:12 AM

Im right handed.

I do not understand this at all. Your dominant hand should hold the rod, that is what catches the fish. All the reel hand has to do is turn. South Paws have an advantage with conventionals and most people don't even know it. Fish that reel and enjoy not having to swap hands after a cast. You'll never go back.

The Man
[/quote]

Thank you!.
can I use ultrasonic cleaners to clean painted body and plates?
im not sure of this will damage pain

foakes

Quote from: Riy2018 on November 26, 2021, 02:54:05 PM

After 20 years of experimenting with nearly every type of cleaning solutions in Ultrasonic cleaners —

Now, I just use (5) cleaners.

LACQUER THINNER — great for bare metals like brass, aluminum, steel, SS, bronze — it will remove paint!

PURPLE DEGREASER — Works good, but I seldom use it anymore since LT is so much more effective — will remove paint and turn aluminum parts black.

SIMPLE GREEN — good cleaner, if painted parts are left in too long,paint damage will occur.

VINEGAR — for any salt burned reels — vinegar stops the Verdigris process.

HD DAWN DISH SOAP — this is all I use for plastic and painted parts — generally will not remove paint or dull/harm finishes.

Experimentation is the key — cutting with water sometimes 50%, no heat except on straight metal parts with no paint, not leaving things in too long, etc..

I use glass jelly or pickle jars with wide tops for the cleaning solutions — then just drop the chosen parts & solutions within the jar into the main reservoir.  Less waste, more effective, less expensive, reusable, easy.

Best, Fred

CAUTION — CAUTION!!

IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE AND/OR FAMILIAR WITH THE SAFETY PROTOCOLS OF LACQUER THINNER — IT IS FLAMMABLE,  NOT GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN, SMELLS, AND SHOULD NOT BE USED IF ONE IS NOT CAREFUL AND CAUTIOUS.

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Riy2018

Quote from: foakes on November 26, 2021, 04:27:33 PM
Quote from: Riy2018 on November 26, 2021, 02:54:05 PM

After 20 years of experimenting with nearly every type of cleaning solutions in Ultrasonic cleaners —

Now, I just use (5) cleaners.

LACQUER THINNER — great for bare metals like brass, aluminum, steel, SS, bronze — it will remove paint!

PURPLE DEGREASER — Works good, but I seldom use it anymore since LT is so much more effective — will remove paint and turn aluminum parts black.

SIMPLE GREEN — good cleaner, if painted parts are left in too long,paint damage will occur.

VINEGAR — for any salt burned reels — vinegar stops the Verdigris process.

HD DAWN DISH SOAP — this is all I use for plastic and painted parts — generally will not remove paint or dull/harm finishes.

Experimentation is the key — cutting with water sometimes 50%, no heat except on straight metal parts with no paint, not leaving things in too long, etc..

I use glass jelly or pickle jars with wide tops for the cleaning solutions — then just drop the chosen parts & solutions within the jar into the main reservoir.  Less waste, more effective, less expensive, reusable, easy.

Best, Fred

CAUTION — CAUTION!!

IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE AND/OR FAMILIAR WITH THE SAFETY PROTOCOLS OF LACQUER THINNER — IT IS FLAMMABLE,  NOT GOOD FOR YOUR SKIN, SMELLS, AND SHOULD NOT BE USED IF ONE IS NOT CAREFUL AND CAUTIOUS.

:o thank you very much!
it is true science. Il keep this is a manual.
I used purple degreaser for everything, but now will be cautious. I follow Dennis Kuntz channel on YouTube he mostly uses WD40 and metal mesh, no chemicals. 
thank you again.