Revo Toro for Albacore

Started by WillFish, March 29, 2011, 09:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillFish

I'm considering buying a Revo Toro 60 for casting iron and swimbaits for albacore. 

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with these reels for this application?

Specifically, how has their durability in the salt been?

Nessie Hunter

Cant directly answer your question..  But I do own a Toro 60.. 
I have not personally used it yet, but loaned it to a friend for throwing heavy swimbaits for LMB..

He raved about it, didnt want to give it back and is now looking for one himself..
He is a tournament LMB angler...

I want to use it for Paddy Hopping and Y/T, Dorado and small tuna..
If I ever get to go again!!  lol  Seems like forever!!   >:(
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

JGB

Willfish,

The Revo might be OK on small longfins. The drag and the line capacity will work, But for bigger fish I recommend a non level wind reel. The reason is that  tuna make very hard fast runs during the initial strike and it is not uncommon for the level wind to jam and fail with disastrous results. That being the pawl, worm and gear fail and the reel can not be used to retrieve line as the level wind piles the line up in one spot.
Picture this - you have the drag at strike (10#) and the YFT takes your bait. Slam the reel into gear and the YFT is ripping line at a mind blowing rate. The levelwind pawl has this thin tiny blade that follows the levelwind worm. It must rotate 90 degrees each time it reaches the edge of the spool and reengage the return worm track. If it catches even for an instant it will destroy it's self. If you ever experience this you will find yourself considering selling off all your levelwinds.
Jim N.

WillFish

So, other than the general level-wind vs non level-wind debate, any other issues with using this reel in the salt for casting to albacore?

alantani

with spectra, you will have plenty of line capacity.  you can also get an easy 5 pounds of drag.  it will be an exciting fight!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!