a reminder about tape on the arbor of a spool

Started by alantani, October 22, 2016, 05:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

when spooling up spectra, some people use electrical tape around the arbor to keep the spectra from slipping.  it's fine for fresh water, but not so good by itself for a salt water reel.

yup, plain black electrical tape.  who knows how many seasons this has been on.

and this is what you get.  funny, this one.  lots of corrosion under the tape, absolutely none on the sides of the spool.

this has to be cleaned down to the bare aluminum.  and at this point, opinions diverge.  what i do is give the spool a light coat of yamaha marine grease, cleaning off the excess.  i'm betting that the engineers at yamaha have grease that is acceptably salt water resistant.  some guys use car wax.  i dunno....

then it's a coat of breathable flex wrap, then take the spectra six turns around the arbor, then a six turn uni knot, then loaded under pressure equal to 50 to 75% of the anticipated drag ranged (but you knew that last part already).

gotta protect those spools!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Message recieved 10-2....flex wrap....not electrical tape  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Eddie Hernandez

Quote from: alantani on October 22, 2016, 05:16:43 AM
when spooling up spectra, some people use electrical tape around the arbor to keep the spectra from slipping.  it's fine for fresh water, but not so good by itself for a salt water reel.

Alan-thanks for this post I will be spooling up my new shimano torium 14 with braid and will use the flex tape/grease on the spool I have tons of this tape at work ;D...

Tiddlerbasher

Over the last couple of years-ish  - I've stopped using any kind of tape on the spool. 5/6 turns around the spool then an arbor knot with  a long tag end - I can't make it slip :)
I just spooled up a fly reel (for salt fishing) as above 5/6 turns etc. 30+ lbs on the intial knot - it didn't move ;D

handi2

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 19, 2018, 12:04:25 AM
Over the last couple of years-ish  - I've stopped using any kind of tape on the spool. 5/6 turns around the spool then an arbor knot with  a long tag end - I can't make it slip :)
I just spooled up a fly reel (for salt fishing) as above 5/6 turns etc. 30+ lbs on the intial knot - it didn't move ;D

Me too. I do it like Jerry Brown instructs. No tape at all.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

conchydong

Quote from: handi2 on April 19, 2018, 12:11:34 AM

X3

bluefish69

I use the rubberized electrical tape that is water proof. This is used underground on Electric connections.  Then I do the knot thing.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Decker

exp2000

http://www.maltatackle.com/jerry-brown-spectra
~

jurelometer

Quote from: conchydong on April 19, 2018, 10:22:32 AM

X3

x4    

boon

My 2c, I have never had braid slip on the spool. I believe it would have to be spooled under little or no pressure.

Each to their own though!

alantani

let me know if you guys ever have any problems going tapeless!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Guess I'll be changing all those electrical tape arbors out after this season ends.

exp2000

Quote from: boon on April 19, 2018, 10:36:32 PM
My 2c, I have never had braid slip on the spool.

I have had a few reels in with the complaint that there is hardly any drag no matter how much you tighten it.

Guess what the culprit usually is?

If you said, the whole line loom free-spininng on the spool you would be right.

Cannot vouch for how the end was tied to the spool though.

I just explain to them that there is nothing wrong with the actual reel and tell them how to fix the problem.
~

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: alantani on April 19, 2018, 11:01:35 PM
let me know if you guys ever have any problems going tapeless!!!!   ;D

Nope - several years - no problems - why did you ask this particular question Alan?