alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial a reminder about tape on the arbor of a spool
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 07, 2019, 01:35:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a reminder about tape on the arbor of a spool  (Read 10070 times)
Cor
Cape Town

I am probably fishing......

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 10:56:42 AM »

I've never used tape on my reels but then also I only started to use braid 3 years ago.
I presume if the spool has a hole or little button then no tape will be required?

Cornelis
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 11:13:01 AM »

i clean up the spool with a greasy tooth brush first, leaving a thin coat of grease on the spool.  then i wrap the arbor with a couple of layers of tape, then the line.  i tape the braid to the side of the spool, then spin it so that i get 5-6 wraps around the arbor, then finish it off with a standard 6 turn uni knot.  pretty simple. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 11:14:06 AM »

I've never used tape on my reels but then also I only started to use braid 3 years ago.
I presume if the spool has a hole or little button then no tape will be required?

don't tie to the mushroom pin.  the pin can pull right out.  i use tape regardless. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Cor
Cape Town

I am probably fishing......

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »

Thanks!

Cornelis
Firearms Group

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2019, 12:59:20 PM »

Jose Wejebe has a youtube video showing how to do a 5 or 6 wrap around the arbor, uni knot.  It works, there's no slippage and avoids the need for tape or mono backing.  Folks don't like the idea of using straight braid but I find it cheaper than a new spool.  Better yet I just use mono.
WC_Mike

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »

This is a good post. I might have to turn it into a PSA on Facebook. I have never liked electrical tape for anything outside of electrical wiring or used as a bandaid.
Ive used flex wrap with good results but I think I will try the tapeless method this season.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: