a reminder about tape on the arbor of a spool

Started by alantani, October 22, 2016, 05:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

I've never used tape on my reels but then also I only started to use braid 3 years ago.
I presume if the spool has a hole or little button then no tape will be required?
Cornelis

alantani

i clean up the spool with a greasy tooth brush first, leaving a thin coat of grease on the spool.  then i wrap the arbor with a couple of layers of tape, then the line.  i tape the braid to the side of the spool, then spin it so that i get 5-6 wraps around the arbor, then finish it off with a standard 6 turn uni knot.  pretty simple. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Quote from: Cor on January 14, 2019, 06:56:42 PM
I've never used tape on my reels but then also I only started to use braid 3 years ago.
I presume if the spool has a hole or little button then no tape will be required?

don't tie to the mushroom pin.  the pin can pull right out.  i use tape regardless. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Cornelis

Quote from: Cor on January 14, 2019, 06:56:42 PM

Jose Wejebe has a youtube video showing how to do a 5 or 6 wrap around the arbor, uni knot.  It works, there's no slippage and avoids the need for tape or mono backing.  Folks don't like the idea of using straight braid but I find it cheaper than a new spool.  Better yet I just use mono.

WC_Mike

This is a good post. I might have to turn it into a PSA on Facebook. I have never liked electrical tape for anything outside of electrical wiring or used as a bandaid.
Ive used flex wrap with good results but I think I will try the tapeless method this season.