Nep-Tuna 349HC

Started by Bill B, October 22, 2016, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

10-4 brother.....email sent.......bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

Bill I was hoping I had one of those free but what I have are the smooth ones. That one by far is more interesting. See if it works.  If not I will send a plain one.  Will send tip today in any case. My recco is carefully cut a slot lengthwise down the seat without getting much into the wood with dremel. You should be able to insert screwdriver into slit and pop seat loose with a twist on the blade. 

Bill B

Thank you John....Tim's handle is really interesting and will be period correct, now how am I going to find 50 yo sand paper to shim it  ;D....Im hoping his handle will not need much shimming, I have used Gorilla Glue for other applications and I think it should be a good option for taking up the slack....I will be starting on the rod this weekend....clear coat first....will post pictures as the build continues.....Thanks again to everyone who is helping......Bill

thorhammer

Nice, and I just looked back at the picks...BT's handle matches your foregrip milling, so it's a no-brainer there....this is gonna be cool.....

If there is too much gap for gorilla glue to center in the ferrule (been there), you can try to wrap the end of the dowel with rod thread and epoxy over just as you would a rod in orderto build up diameter and it becomes very strong as well. Then glue into ferrule. that's funny about some 50 yo sandpaper....but I bet that handle is older....

Bill B

Quick update...I had a great telephone conversation with Big Tim last night....hate to say it but he is the first person I have had a person to person conversation with since I have been here and it was like we have been friends for years  :D....he will be sending the butt and fore grip pictured above which will be a period correct butt section for this build minus the 50 yo sandpaper  ;)...finished the stripping of the rod last night and applied the first coat of urethane today.....to be transparent this was a spray can application due to the lack of a rod dryer but I am not too concerned as this will not be seeing a lot of abuse.....I would post a picture but it would not be able to show the finish, I was able to apply it thick enough to have it run completely down the rod when held vertical without sags and give a good even finish.....I will re-evaluate in the am and lightly sand and apply a second coat if necessary but safe to say I am impressed with what I have now....I am not too concerned with coating the guide wrapping and hand turning the rod as I will be able to do this a wrap at a time and not having to worry about the whole rod....I will be using Sheridan's Gudebrod Rod Varnish that he was so generous to send with the rod guides and thread....also I will have a special addition to reveal upon the completion but you will have to wait.... ;D   I hope the AT family has a good Morro Bay Trip this weekend...and please someone try to hurt Tim's only feeling he has brought for the Morro Bay trip.. 8)  ask him and he may tell you about it :D....Bill

Swami805

Hi Bill, do a small section of the rod that will be hidden with the second coat first. Some of those varnishes will dissolve the first coat as you apply it. If you have a good coat on now and it looks how you want it maybe skip the second coat. Alot of those products will chip and flake if they're on real thick. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Thank you for the heads up.....Will do as advised......Bill

Bill B

Wrapped the rod guides today.....5 guides, two wraps per side and 2 wraps at the foregrip, 22 wraps, rod varnish and 8 hrs later....this is kind of like sorting fly poop out of pepper  :P....I need a beer or three now.....next will be John's roller tip, Tim's butt section and Fred's anti-reverse dog....cant wait to finish and show the final product.....Bill
Before

After

steelfish

wow peretty cool project, keeping an eye on this

The Baja Guy

Bill B

Thank you brother....I received two packages yesterday, sorry for no pictures right now, was kinda occupied last night watching the polls, but I will post pictures tonight, Thanks to Big Tim for the butt section that is in incredible shape and will not need any refurbishment and Fred's package of unobtanium AR dog for the 349 HC and gear for another project....Bill
I will split the reel seat this Veteran's Day Weekend and start the fitting of the butt and install the dog.....Thank you guys....Really a good bunch of Cool Beans  ;D
Picture update

Bill B

Build continues, with a liberal application of a propane torch I was able to extract the butt section from Tim's donation

After comparing the "new" butt to the original, they were found to be the same diameter...so using the SWAG method (Scientific Wild #### Guess)  ??? two wraps of 80 lb dacron would make up the difference between the socket and butt diameter

Then applied a thin film of Gorilla Glue and inserted into the cradle socket, the fit was perfect :D

With the glue setting, on to the AR dog the original owner had cut to disable the knuckle buster feature  >:(, and I discovered the spool is stainless steel.....

Here's the complete Nep-Tuna Cradle....

As soon as the roller tip arrives, this will be ready to fish....figure I will spool it with 50 lb dacron to keep the OG look, at least until I take it out for some salt water action..... ;D

Ron Jones

I am at a loss for words. Stupendous?
All I know is, I want one.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

Brains, talent and yankee ingenuity triumph again. Nice job Bill, Looks great, the beans they are a'chillin! Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen....but the brains is debatable  ::)  talent pales compared to what is being done by the gang  8)  and Yankee ingenuity comes from the heart felt donations from all  :D.....I just put the pieces together.....btw my fishing buddy came by and is ready to take it trolling for stripers.....Bill

Tiddlerbasher

Great job Bill - I love it :)