Nep-Tuna 349HC

Started by Bill B, October 22, 2016, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on November 16, 2016, 04:58:44 PM
overwrap of tip....

great tip on the tiptop John, I havent seen a trolling rod or boat rod with the tip overwraped like yours but it makes sense
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Torqued an Aftco on a big shark in the Keys a long time ago and now do this step religiously.

Bill B

Update, I received John's roller tip Thursday, drilled the roller socket out, milled the rod tip down to fit inside the roller socket, applied some hot glue and wrapped from the rod and up and over the roller tip.....just waiting for the Perma Gloss U-40 to show up and will finish this project....I am not really happy with the fitting of the roller tip to the rod  :-\  there is a gap between the roller socket and the rod...may un-wrap and re-fit...I should be able to save the threads for the re-wrap....I will be going to SoCal to spend Thanksgiving with the family, so I will re-evaluate when I get back....Does anyone have an opinion regarding the hot glue option for installing a roller tip...I am not really confident in it's holding ability, but I am wrapping the thread 1/2" up the roller tip and will be using Perma Gloss on it....Maybe use Gorilla Glue instead of hot glue?  ......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Cool Bill,  I'm enjoying this thread.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

funhog

Great thread!  ... but also interested in the JALAMA Beach sign. I have a few incredible memory days there, surfing T's and Kiteboarding out in front and ending the day with one of the 10 best hamburgers in the world. Do you go there much? pretty pristine coastline( definitely sharky!) and out of the way for most.

Bill B

FH.....we have been making a yearly trips for the last 10 years, started in a tent and the last trip, we took a few friends and their kids, ended up in three spots, one 30' trailer and four tents and four ez-ups  :o....I love walking the dogs headed north towards Vandenberg can get a good 2 mile walk in without seeing a soul...last year wasnt a good year for seals saw three dead and half eaten you are right definitely sharky....but would love to dive the kelp paddies, they look untouched.  Tried surf fishing but found the current to be more of a freeway than a leisurely current....and yes the Jalama Burger has got to be one of the best ever.....Cheers brother.... Bill

Swami805

It's coming along great Bill. The hot glue will work fine and it shouldn't be super snug as you'll want enough room for a film of hot glue between the tip and the blank. If the gap is too big wrap a layer of thread over the tip and melt the hot glue into the thread. There's also tip top glue you can buy online but it's almost the same as hot glue just has a lower melting point.
Jalama is a real treasure and far enough off the beaten path to be fairly uncrowded. The perch fishing there can be incredible. If you're into spiders some years there's a robust migration of tarantulas right up the hill. That burger is some fine eatin too.
Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Not to hijack my own thread but here are some photographs of Jalama Beach pronounced "Ha-Lama Beach"

The creek that runs through the northern border of the campground

Where the creek meets the Pacific Ocean

And what I call the Cliffs of Dover, north on the beach walking towards Vandenberg Air Force Base but looking south

Beautiful campground 14 miles off Highway 1, as stated below off the beaten path but well worth it....and no cell phone reception WOOOOHOOO!!!!

thorhammer

Bill, Gorilla glue could be a good option. It fills voids as you know and will break with heat much easier than epoxy, should you come across a better tip. ( and by NO means am I wet if you change... Please put the best in there if you can improve; the build deserve best it can get!!!)

J

thorhammer

Just read back over this when I had a minute. Some rod repair tip kits actually have a hot glue stick in the container vs. the white opaque glue we used to get. I use whatever is in the kit I have; I indicated a hot glue stick here in case Bill didn't have an actual kit and no need to buy one (they usually come with tips, for which he may have no use.

Bill, if it were me and the gap made me nervous, I'd go gorilla glue and then wrap as you have, then you are confident in the arrangement. if you keep existing thread, tape it off or you will have a gorilla mess on it :)

John

Bill B

Thanks John, I will be completely unwrapping the tip to fix a gap between the socket and where it meets the rod....I didn't mill the step down staringt enough and there is a gap, barely visible in the above photo, there is two layers of thread there, so I will be able to unwind to the spool to save it.....I will reevaluate the glue situation when I put it back on, but it sounds like the hot glue will be the ticket.....I really appreciate all your help during this rebuild...Bill

thorhammer

Bill, sure thing. I thought about one other thing...I've used U40 and while it does impart a nice seal and gloss, IMO it doesn't have the structural strength of epoxy over thread by a long shot...seriously think about that gorilla as you are gonna put this on a striper and not up on a wall if I read correctly....note, you can wind back and forth to "step" that brown thread up to a smooth transition to the tip. I have plenty if you need some.

Bill B

John, sorry replying so late, my plan at this point is to hot glue the roller tip (I believe the roller tip socket fits well on the rod, I just need to fix the shoulder where the roller socket meets the rod) and wind two layers of thread over lapping the roller tip, then use the U-40 to seal the threads on all the guides.  It appears the original rod builder used a varnish. 

I would like to keep the wrappings visible and not bury them in a heavy layer of epoxy.  If U-40 is not appropriate please let me know.  I plan on using the Nep-Tuna as a "Sunday Driver" and do not expect to use it for heavy trolling, more for trolling the striped bass we have on the river, figuring a large striper runs 40 lbs.  As always your input and experience is greatly appreciated.   Bill

thorhammer

Hey Bill, Happy Thanksgiving! No, you are completely on track with the U40 vs epoxy high build finish on this to keep it looking period correct. My point was that since you ARE using U40 which wont provide that much structural strength, you may wish to use gorilla glue inside the tip to provide that strength against torque.....Note, you had to drill out that tip for a reason: whatever they used back then (epoxy? I don't know) to cement tips is strong stuff; I cut it off because in in my experience the fiberglas melts before the glue when trying to remove using heat. So, the wraps were strictly trim back then as far as the tip goes, but as you see tips are there semi-permanently.

On stripers, you will proabably be fine as you plan. I torqued one on an 8' shark. Different deal.

J

Bill B

Cool Beans brother....Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family....Bill