Nep-Tuna 349HC

Started by Bill B, October 22, 2016, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Ok Bill, turkey's over! Back on task!!! :)

Bill B

;D ;D ;D ;D   Just got back to Sacramento today and the U-40 was waiting for me.....gonna re-set the roller tip and start the finishing this week....I did get to show my son the rig last weekend and he wants to take it fishing said "that's the coolest fishing pole you have".....I guess better get on it...kinda hate to finish this project....the same feeling when one finishes a really good book or movie.....you can never relive the feeling of the first time, but you can always read another good book....hmmmm.....whats the next "book" gonna be  ???   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

uhhhhh...you'll be hunting another one. I'm all about matched pairs :)

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

steelfish

Quote from: TARFU on November 29, 2016, 12:57:07 AM
..the same feeling when one finishes a really good book or movie.....you can never relive the feeling of the first time, but you can always read another good book...

now I can relate that feeling amigo.

not on the same class than you as builder but now the rod building bug bite me big time, its funny that my little girl of 6yo also told me like your kid (kinda), dad that rod you made is beautiful, can you do the same to mine? but with pink color please?
so, I already have my next rod build assingment

congrats on your net-tuna restoration
The Baja Guy

Bill B

OK.....picked up some small paint brushes at the R/C Hobby store, 3 for $2, set up the wrapping station (really just a cardboard box  :P) and applied the first coat of U-40......this coat just soaked in and darkened the thread a little, but I like the dark brown color, the original thread was black....now dry for an hour or so and the second coat will be applied......I'm figuring at least three coats....should finish this project today......Bill

Alto Mare

Looking good Bill...labor of love :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Second coat

Third coat

Three coats so far, going to let dry overnite and re=access in the am.....Bill

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

Well this is kind of bitter sweet.....I have finished the Johnny Walker/Nep-Tuna/Penn 349HC project.  I am happy to have had the opportunity to restore this classic combo, but sad to see this journey end.  So to recap this project:
I found a Nep-Tuna Cradle, Johnny Walker Rod and Penn 349HC at a local pawn shop for $27 out the door.  

After checking the rear view mirror all the way home in case the police tried to arrest me for theft, I began the journey to restore this classic combo.  I have to credit Mike Cacioppo (Penn Chronology) for introducing us to the Nep-Tuna.  First was the tear down, which revealed a cradle drilled for both the Penn 49 and 349 hole pattern, an undersized butt section which used wet/dry sandpaper, duct tape and two layers of painted twine to mount into the cradle

Then began the rebuilding process.  With generous donations from people here at Alantani.com, the reel was brought back to working order.  The previous owner had clipped the anti reverse dog to disable the knuckle buster mode.  Fred (foakes) donated a replacement dog

Which completed the reel

The original butt section was held in place with sandpaper, duct tape and twine, but Tim (Big T) came to the rescue with a period correct butt section from a busted split cane rod.  So a little heat and a couple layers of 80 lb dacron the butt was fitted to the cradle.

Then came the rod, which was stripped of all the hardware and remaining finish and with generous donations from John (the swimmer) with a roller tip and Sheridan (swill805) sending 5 rod guides and thread and lots of emails and really good advice from everyone the rod was rewrapped.  I used a card board box as a wrapping stand and homemade thimble to wrap the guides and apply the Perma Gloss U-40.  The Johnny Walker rod was sanded and a spray can urethane applied (yeah it was a spray can, but it worked  ;D)

The original fore grip was painted hickory, which was sanded and painted black with a spray can and urethane applied

So I now present the AlanTani.com Nep-Tuna

And as I promised Big Tim I added a little personal touch, I recently reached 20 years state service with my department, so I used an older 15 year state service pin to cover the hole drilled in the cradle to secure the old butt section, with a little application of a hammer and some leather for padding, I molded the pin to match the curve of the cradle socket.

Lessons learned, take your time and think out every step, I would wait many days between steps; thinking, researching, and asking questions  before the execution of each step.  I have met some very special people here and would like to consider them as friends and brothers on a very short list.  Always be willing to "pay it forward", the components donated to me would have cost 5 times the original cost of the rod, but these people have made it a reality and something really special.  Thank you to everyone for following this adventure.  Now time to find that International 80 for 25 bucks  ;D

Cool Beans to my brothers and sisters and friends of the AT community.......Bill

Swami805

Wow that came out great, down to the hickory handle. The badge is a nice touch. Time to hang a fish on it! Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

spc7669

That is simply beautiful. You have every right to be proud of that restoration.

thorhammer

Bill, wow,  that's awesome, and the photography great! You have to get some slime on that one before it goes on the wall!

Bill B

Thank you for the kind words.....this was a good learning experience......Looks like rain all weekend so fish slime is gonna have to wait, but the stripers are running and looking forward to trolling with this set up.....Bill

foakes

Congratulations on your 20 year professional accomplishment, Captain!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rothmar2

Sublime work for start to finish. Hope you manage some classic fish on that classic gear!