I destroyed a Bearing last night.

Started by Phishface, October 23, 2016, 06:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phishface

I was attempting to relube the bearings on my Pro Gear CS 650 and distroyed the bearing on the left side trying to get the shields off.
Has anyone else done this?
This is my first time trying to purchase a bearing, first time trying to measure a bearing.
I'm getting dimensions from my caliper as follows( ID- 3.00mm or .115" OD- 9.50mm or .375" H- 3.95mm or
.155". I'm having trouble finding the same size bearing on the boca or the smoothdrag web sights.

Am I measuring wrong?

I feel like an idiot.

Jerome.

Rancanfish

I'm thinking it's a plain old 113h Penn bearing.  Pro Gear was just beefed up Penn more or less.  I don't think their bearing were odd sizes.

I just measured the O.D. on the bearing from SmoothDrag and it measures 9.54 mm. (.375 in OD).  x  3.97 mm (.156 in thick).

Packaging says .125 x .375 x .156 Stainless Abec 5 fits:  Newell 200/300/400 etc. Penn 505,506, 113h    ProGear 440,445,541,545.     Set #30

If the O.D. matches and the thickness matches I'd say you have the same bearing. Again, Set #30.

Don't beat yourself up, it can confuse the best of 'em.  Oh, and set your caliper to inches because that seems to be the SmoothDrag method used.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Phishface

Thank you Rancanfish, I'll contact Smoothdrag tomorrow.

Jerome.

day0ne

A Pro Gear CS 650 is not a beefed up Penn, like the ProGear 440,445,541,545, though the bearing might be a 113H size, depending on the ID or shaft size.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

handi2

It sounds like a 3x10x4 which is very commonly used as a left side plate bearing. The CS 650 is Pro Gears own design.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rancanfish

Don't nitpick boys. I said more or less.  ;D

I have a CS625, so I know it's different.

I think he's going to order from Dawn either way.

Anybody want to bet on the bearing size?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Gfish

I get odd readings on my digital calipers oftentimes. Harder than I thought and takes alota concentration. For me, best way to do i.d. is measure the o.d. of the shaft it fits on. Then guess if my other two meas. 'er close to whats commonly sold for generalized use and there's no specific references avalible.
I recently added four bearings to a five bearing reel and got the shields offa five of 'em, decided not to try two tiny ones, and started to deform the two old main gear ones, so I backed off. Still need to find a good tool for doin' it: something with a real gradual taper, sharp durable point( mabey flattened on one or two sides) and easy fer my fat fingers to handle.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

exp2000

Quote from: Phishface on October 23, 2016, 06:19:09 PM
I was attempting to relube the bearings on my Pro Gear CS 650 and distroyed the bearing on the left side trying to get the shields off.
Has anyone else done this?
This is my first time trying to purchase a bearing, first time trying to measure a bearing.
I'm getting dimensions from my caliper as follows( ID- 3.00mm or .115" OD- 9.50mm or .375" H- 3.95mm or
.155". I'm having trouble finding the same size bearing on the boca or the smoothdrag web sights.

Am I measuring wrong?

I feel like an idiot.

Jerome.

Don't sweat it. We are all idiots sometimes :)

There is something odd with the measurements quoted.

The ID is metric but the OD and WIDTH are standard imperial measurements.

Based on the dimensions provided I am guessing it's an imperial bearing but sumpfin don't add up here?

You might want to check your ID again.

Decimal Inch to Fraction   

0.125      1/8  
0.1328   17/128
0.15625      5/32
0.1875      3/16
0.1953   25/128
0.2032   13/64
0.21875      7/32
0.25              1/4  
0.3125      5/16
0.375      3/8  
0.4375      7/16
0.5              1/2  
0.625      5/8  
0.75      3/4  

~

Bryan Young

I believe the bearings are

Right Side - 6 x 12 x 4 mm

Left Side - 0.125 X 0.375 X 0.155 inches
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Phishface

Thank you one and all for the great information. It turns out I have a bunch of old Penn parts from years of doing rebuilds conversions and such, dug thru the bag of parts and found a bearing from a 113H.
It fit perfectly. So thank you Rancanfish and dayone, you made me night.

Jerome.

oc1

Gfish, at Longs I found a little miniature awl in the section with sewing stuff.  Hanging right next to the awl was a pack of assorted upholstery needles, one of which has a triangular point.  Both come in handy when messing with reels.

I decided that there is nothing I can do to make a good bearing even better.  It's easy to deform the cage trying to get a metal seal off.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

I use dental picks or pcb cleanup picks for shield removal - available from the big auction site ;)

exp2000

Quote from: Gfish on October 24, 2016, 04:25:50 AM
I get odd readings on my digital calipers oftentimes. Harder than I thought and takes alota concentration. For me, best way to do i.d. is measure the o.d. of the shaft it fits on. Then guess if my other two meas. 'er close to whats commonly sold for generalized use and there's no specific references avalible.
I recently added four bearings to a five bearing reel and got the shields offa five of 'em, decided not to try two tiny ones, and started to deform the two old main gear ones, so I backed off. Still need to find a good tool for doin' it: something with a real gradual taper, sharp durable point( mabey flattened on one or two sides) and easy fer my fat fingers to handle.
Gfish

It helps to open up an SS shield gap a bit by first using a scalpel blade to allow a more robust lever to be inserted. Just keep the angle shallow to avoid damage to the bearing cage.

A tiny garfish hook held in some forceps can remove shield retainers on even small spool bearings. I even serviced a worm drive bearing once on an Abu 5600 that was dropped in the wash cycle. All the bearings had sand in them but I still managed to return them to service.

Personally I like to clean and service bearings. Saltwater reels are exposed to a hostile environment and bearings are often compromised to varying degrees.
~