BPS Offshore Angler-Captain's Choice CCL 350 - Stop Laughing!!!

Started by drichitt, March 31, 2011, 04:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drichitt

They were free ;D. A buddy of mine knew I was getting into repairing reels so he handed me a box containing 5 of these heavy level wind reels and said have at it. They aren't all that old so I decided to dissect one of them. From my newbie perspective they aren't all that bad, but what do I know :-\? Anyone out there have any experience with these? Luckily the one I took apart didn't have anything that needed replacing; even the drags were good. The stack has 7 of them, plus a fiber washer under the main gear. The drags are a hard, smooth type disc(not sure what type); like what came original with my Tekota 800. The dimensions were 26.5 x 10.33 x 0.5 (od x id x th; mm); it didn't match up with anything on Alan's HT-100 listing, nor Dawn's Carbonex listing. I was really expecting to find Penn or Daiwa parts on the inside, but I guess BPS has designed their own? Where would I get a schematic for this reel and who would stock the parts? (Bass Pro?)  Thanks....Don

Bryan Young

Carbontex #36 or #37 will suit your needs.  For under the gear, would select #37 or one with similar or smaller ID and OD the same as your dog wheel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

you know what's funny?  i would start posts about okuma 3 years ago just like that!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

There are a lot of okay, affordable reels out there.  With a little help, they can be good or even great reels for one's use.

I have seen all type of reels rock cod fishing.  Some guys use Accurate, Avet, Shimano, Penns, Okumas, Daiwas, Shakespeare, and even old Ocean City and Sears reels..  They all catch fish.  I think it's more important to know the limitations of your reel.  I would start with upgrading the drags and so a pre-service to see how the reel works, is put together.  If you see something that you may be concerned about if the drags are tightened down, then back it down and use the reel with lower drag ranges.  Go fishing and have fun.  Even better, take a kid fishing and enjoy their smiles as they are catching fish.

If you decide to take the reel apart, please take and post pics as there are probably a few of us here that is not willing to admit, but probably have this reel.

With that said, I've taken apart my brother's cheap $39 Shakespeare conventional boat reel, cleaned and replaced drag washers with greased carbon drags.  It's a great reel for him on party boats for rock cod.  Drags are smooth, and does as well as the guy next to him with an Avet.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

drichitt

Thanks Bryan. I decided to give Bass Pro a call and was able to get them to email me a schematic of the the reel within a few hours. The reel has been changed from a model CCL 350 to a CC 350 and they are the same reel. BPS has no web presence so you have to call them in Springfield, MO (417-873-5274) to get any questions answered or order parts. My big worry going forward would be the availability of parts as a reel starts to get older since BPS seems to be the only source. Also, can't sell new reels to customers if they keep fixing those older reels ;D.  As far as putting up a rebuild post....we'll see. Wouldn't mind the input from more knowledgeable people.

Bryan Young

We have had lenghty conversations about companies putting out good reels, and reel repairs.  Companies make a lot of money on parts.  Just like cars.  A car is worth more dismantled than in one piece.

New reels?  How many of us have perfectly good working reels, and still find the need to buy new reels.  I know guys with buckets of good old reels, but are still buying new reels.  It's just in our nature to have something better.  I think the world needs both.  Each has it's way to make money in different economies.

steelfish

well, I just got one reel of this same model from Mike (wally15).
so, expect some pictures once I finish some pending jobs and have time to work on my own reels (this is getting a little bit out of control  ;D)
The Baja Guy

RowdyW

I bought a slightly used one from ebay about 6 years ago. It looks similar to a 113h with a little Daiwa Sealine 300 tossed in. The only plus is the cast aluminum frame. I used it once since servicing & now it's gathering dust somewhere inbetween a pile of Penn reels. Not a bad reel for the money, but it sure isn't a Senator. They are still selling it at Bass Pro Shops with a couple of modifacations & a different model number.          Rudy