spinning reel advice , long distance casting

Started by laker, October 31, 2016, 04:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laker

Greetings from Canada.

My interest is long distance casting of lures such as the Rapala Shadow Rap, Rapala Husky Jerk and various swim baits in my pursuit of walleye. I have been advised to get a small wide spool spinning reel that is used for surf casting and to couple it with a 8 to 9 foot spinning rod. I plan on using 10 to 12 pound rest braid braid with a 8 to 10 pound test flourocarbon leader. I can get spinning reels in Canada but none with the wide spool used for surf casting. My preference is buy Shimano but but the question is which model  would serve me best in my pursuit of distance? I am also prepared to look at other manufacturers. if I could get some advice from this forum it would be most appreciated. Your information is top notch.
I hope to go to Florida this winter and pick up a reel when I am there.

Thank you

jim

Bryan Young

I believe Daiwa has some long-distance casting spinners...Emblem series.  They also have a fishing rod Emblem series to mate up with those reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jeri

Hi Jim,

We use some Shimano reels for lighter surf casting, where distance is a priority. Models like the Ultegra are pretty good, and the Aerlex series are cheaper.

The Ultregra 4500 is probably the smallest available, they cast nice and have the right shaped spool for distance. There are more expensive models available, but probably won't give that much more performance. Good drag, could be enhanced by switching out with carbon discs, but keep the felt ones greased and they are fine. The through shaft system of mounting the handle is not optimum, so keep an eye on that, but I have one that is 4 years old and still giving good service at the beach.

Hope that helps

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

FatTuna

I would second the Ultegra. Shimano makes good spinning reels. Shimano has a relatively new line of surf reels that are designed for distance casting. Unfortunately they don't make them in too many sizes here in the states.

It might be worth researching to see if you can get a Shimano online from another country. I know that they make reels that are sold abroad that you can't buy here. There might be something smaller than an Ultegra. Only issue with buying foreign reels is that parts and service become trickier.

Shark Hunter

I have a Daiwa Emblem Pro 5000Aand I think it is one of the longest casting and smoothest spinners I have ever held.
Downside, it is made almost entirely of Plastic. I didn't realize this until I looked really close.
It is now named The Emblem Pro A Surf. Its still a nice reel. Rated at 22lbs of drag. It was a gift from my Uncle.
Might be a little Heavy for what you are looking for, but it casts like I never have before.
http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/emblem_pro-a/index.html

Life is Good!

Porthos

Hmm...Daiwa SS TOURNAMENT® LONG CAST REELS.

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/ss_t/index.html
http://www.moderncarper.com/daiwa-ss2600-review/

Most of the other long cast reels (Daiwa, Okuma, Shimano) are carp reels for 12-20lb mono test...and carp reel availability is less common in North America, but they appear be much more common in Europe. All of these would be too big for what you are targeting.

http://catsandcarp.com/carp-fishing-basics/carp-equipment/

The ULCI45500XSB is smallest of North America Shimano's current surf reel line-up but it's lowest factory rating is 10lb...maybe OK for down to 8lb. For 1/3 the cost, the Daiwa SS might be the most suitable, branded reel for what you are looking for IMHO--though will need to upgrade the factory felt washers to carbon fiber ones.

Tiddlerbasher

Okuma make some nice spinners
http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/spinning-1/cedros-high-speed

They also make a RAW II range.
The Cedros have felt washer (can be upgraded to cf) drags the Raw have cf - apart from that they are quite similar and would make excellent surf reels.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

hope this helps...tight lines!

https://www.google.com/#q=best+spinning+rod+and+reel+combo+for+walleye

btw casting technique helps too.

philaroman

how about a different approach: instead of long-distance reel, consider a long-distance superline -- smooth, non-braided PE like NanoFil or Gliss (too bad you just missed a HUGE clearance sale on Gliss at Cabela's):

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GLISS-SUPERSMOOTH-MONOTEX-FISHING-LINE/2202573.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dgliss%26CQ_st%3Db

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Berkley-NanoFil-Uni-Filament-Fishing-Line/1372806.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dnanofil%2B%26CQ_st%3Db

there are some issues w/ abrasion & knot strength, but a reinforced (glued/welded) join to a long flouro leader should eliminate most concerns -- walleye are not especially huge or strong fighters

that way you could get a size/weight-appropriate reel, instead of trying to find a mini-surfreel.  Daiwa's reverse-tapered spools are a good choice for distance, but I would recommend a Shimano that rips off the Daiwa spool design & includes a spare spool (w/ most Daiwa models, you'd have to buy the spare separately)...  if you break off above the flouro, you can just pop on the spare, already set up w/ attached/reinforced leader (maybe have slightly stronger main/leader on the spare, as an option)

also, for best distance, make sure your rod & reel are well-matched!!!
GOOD READ: http://anglersresource.net/WhattoLookforinaTopShelfSpinningRod.aspx

i.e., get the reel first & bring it with you to shop for rods -- a bit cumbersome to do it the other way around, unless you already have the rod you intend to use...  if not, a ML Steelhead rod might be a good choice & you may want to go longer than 9' -- in addition to better distance, you'd get better shock absorption & protection for thin zero-stretch line

philaroman

P.S., don't worry about CF drags -- good oiled felt should be fine for walleye & you can always get CF after you wear out the felt (maybe never, unless you luck into some bigger essox as by-catch)

Porthos

Quote from: philaroman on November 01, 2016, 02:58:03 PM
how about a different approach: instead of long-distance reel, consider a long-distance superline -- smooth, non-braided PE like NanoFil ...

Do both...upgrade line AND reel.  ;)

canoecaper

Greets,
Proper competition surfcasters, use multipliers (ABU 4500, 5500, 6500 and the Akios that is a special wide derivation of the 6500) to cast over 300 metres, generally with sinkers up to 200gm.
Lines vary from 0.25mm for 50gm to 0.35mm for 175gm and 200gm.  Massive shock leaders are always employed.
However, fixed spools can reach good distances, it is just harder.  I myself reached 210 yards 0.35mm 150gm 25 years ago, using a 15ft Zziplex Hustler Sport back caster and a Mitchell 49(4 I believe).  The line lay was so poor that we used a separate hand wound spool for each cast, profiled like a barrel.
Paul Kerry set records using the similarly horrible Daiwa DF90.  A big Alvey would do the job as well.
My rod had four rings you could put ferrets through and a 16mm tip!  
Nevertheless, the principles of distance are as follows.
The reel needs to be big enough, so that at the end of the cast, the line at the back of your long tapered spool is barely below the lip.  The rod also needs to be designed primarily for distance and as long, 11 to 15 ft as you are happy with on your chosen waters.  Do you really want distance, >150yards, that badly?
"Long cast" spools are disproportionately long, tapered and may have asymmetric line spooling.  The no. of turns going forward is different from that going back.
Short, squat spools help with a strong reel, good for a flick from a boat but are hopeless for genuine distance.  The line drop, hence lip drag is far too much.
If you can feel any line pull at the end of the cast, as the line speed should accelerate, the spool is choking the cast and is too small or poorly loaded.
Any drag earlier in the cast and the rings are too small.
N.B.  Pack spool spacers so the line just starts to pile on the skirt of the spool when full.
Careful use of backing should leave the line load slightly convex, never concave.  Expect to take several shots to get this right but this is key is you choose a slightly small reel for reasons of weight or other convenience.  Remember, to use sensible ring sizes, a 40mm stripper is a minimum.
Penn have introduced in Europe, a range of reels with long cast spools, in a variety of forbidding sizes.
I possess a 7000 and an 8000.  Both have shallow braid spool options.  With the 8000, I can easily flip over 135yards 0.37mm 150gms hybrid ringing.  (I am 72).
These are probably too big for your use.  I use mine for repeated casting for mackerel and loaning to novice beach fishing buddies.  The fresh water guys use them with 12 to 20 lb mono on our big gravel pits, to catch carp.  Don't ask, an European obsession bordering on the perverse.
Carp are however, the Einsteins of the fish world.
Up to you, whether you buy bike makers kit or from impure fishing.  Daiwa started the easy distance reels with the Millionmax.  At nearly $2,000 dollars, leave it out Bruce.  I have smaller long spool designs from both Shimano and Daiwa.  Both are too small, although impressive for their sizes.
The Daiwa chokes at 170yards and the Shimano at 190yards.  All there was at normal money then.
Finally, get lessons on distance casting.  A simple thump won't cut it.  Use finger protection (a finger stall) or a patented release (Breakaway Canon).
Use a manual bail arm or remove most of the bail wire.  Autos just cannot be trusted.  As a diversion, look up Niel Mckellow on U-Tube to see how surf casting is really done.
Rgds.
Malcolm Hayward

Porthos

Quote from: canoecaper on November 01, 2016, 06:04:53 PM
...The fresh water guys use them with 12 to 20 lb mono on our big gravel pits, to catch carp.  Don't ask, an European obsession bordering on the perverse.
Carp are however, the Einsteins of the fish world...

Sounds similar to bass fishing segment in the USA...

mo65

Quote from: philaroman on November 01, 2016, 02:58:03 PM
how about a different approach: instead of long-distance reel, consider a long-distance superline -- smooth, non-braided PE like NanoFil or Gliss (too bad you just missed a HUGE clearance sale on Gliss at Cabela's):

I've been using Nanofil on spinning reels for a few years now...it will definitely increase casting distance. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~