Ocean City Bay City 250

Started by gt2003, March 16, 2022, 07:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt2003

I just serviced my late Dad's Bay City 250 today.  He passed away when i was 4 and I'm now almost 53 so its been sitting a while.  We found it when cleaning out my Mom's house and i snatched it up right away.  The service went well.  However i was surprised to find only 1 thick leather drag washer and 1 keyed washer.  The drag washer is probably 1/16 or 3/32" thick.  What are my options for replacement?  I watched a video where Dennis at 2nd chance tackle used carbontex washers and an extra keyed washer but i dont have an extra keyed washer.  Is it a huge No No to stack 2 carbontex washers back to back?  Just looking for ideas so I can get this thing back on the water!  Thanks All!

foakes

Hi GT, Welcome!

If you could post photos of your reel with the measurements for the drags —- I would be glad to send you originals if I have the right size.

No Charges.

A few other Ocean City expert members may have better information than I do —- Henry, Michael, Dominick —- but I inherited a bunch of OC parts from the 40's & 50's —- that I'll never likely get into.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

I happen to have a few of those .
Basic same reel as the 112./ Ocean , and 50  other City ,or Beach nomdeplumes reel Guts.
I would clean the old thick Drag with Brake Kleen  and both sides with some 1500 grit and use it till you BRUISE IT.............. I do think it should have a Thick steel washer on top . You can double up on the carbons if you want and or they also used all
brass and steel washers as the Drag Stack .
Looks like Fred has everything I would WANT  to make it work .
There is only 1 Keyed washer which ever way you go.
Get er dialed in and you can pull a Tug Boat with it .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

gt2003

Here's the reel.  The badge is dark blue in color so i'm thinking maybe it's a model 112 with a 250 yard line capacity. 

I just disassembled and looked.  The drag washer is 13/16 from left to right and 3/32 thick. 

I found schematics for the 112 that show a drag stack that includes 3 drag washers, an eared washer and 2 keyed washers.  However. My main gear does not have notches for an eared washer.  Any idea if maybe i have a different model than the 112?  I'm just at a loss right now as i'm just learning about this reel.  Thanks again!

gt2003

Quote from: foakes on March 16, 2022, 07:35:07 PMHi GT, Welcome!

If you could post photos of your reel with the measurements for the drags —- I would be glad to send you originals if I have the right size.

No Charges.

A few other Ocean City expert members may have better information than I do —- Henry, Michael, Dominick —- but I inherited a bunch of OC parts from the 40's & 50's —- that I'll never likely get into.

Best, Fred

The drag washer is 13/16 wide and 3/32 thick.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: gt2003 on March 17, 2022, 04:41:18 PMHere's the reel.  The badge is dark blue in color so i'm thinking maybe it's a model 112 with a 250 yard line capacity. 

I just disassembled and looked.  The drag washer is 13/16 from left to right and 3/32 thick. 

I found schematics for the 112 that show a drag stack that includes 3 drag washers, an eared washer and 2 keyed washers.  However. My main gear does not have notches for an eared washer.  Any idea if maybe i have a different model than the 112?  I'm just at a loss right now as i'm just learning about this reel.  Thanks again!

Well in your first post you stated you had only 1 thick Drag (Leather) washer and 1 KEYED metal washer , here in this quote above you say the main gear does not have notches for a keyed washer . They made several variants in the 40 -50  years  this reel and it's variants were made  and you could have one someone threw together it being 70 years old or so .
I would ask Fred to send you a sleeve with main gear and drags set and use that .
Without holding the parts in hand and measuring every thing it would be anyone's Guess as to what you have .
Good Luck .

gt2003

Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 17, 2022, 05:04:56 PM
Quote from: gt2003 on March 17, 2022, 04:41:18 PMHere's the reel.  The badge is dark blue in color so i'm thinking maybe it's a model 112 with a 250 yard line capacity. 

Well in your first post you stated you had only 1 thick Drag (Leather) washer and 1 KEYED metal washer , here in this quote above you say the main gear does not have notches for a keyed washer . They made several variants in the 40 -50  years  this reel and it's variants were made  and you could have one someone threw together it being 70 years old or so .
I would ask Fred to send you a sleeve with main gear and drags set and use that .
Without holding the parts in hand and measuring every thing it would be anyone's Guess as to what you have .
Good Luck .
Quote from: Wompus Cat on March 17, 2022, 05:04:56 PM

Good Luck .

Thanks Wompus Cat.  My main gear doesnt have notches for an eared washer.  But yes, i will see what he has and will send me.  Thank you!

gt2003

THANK YOU @Wompus cat!  Long story short, I sent Henry my reel and he reconfigured the drag so it's working perfectly now.  He also cleaned up the reel very nicely, polished the parts and it looks FANTASTIC!  I'll take some pictures of the finished product and post them asap.  I also enjoyed the phone conversation we had not only about that reel but also about my new found interest in reel repair.  Thanks Henry.  I'm very appreciative of what you have done for me.  I will have this reel out on the water as quickly as possible! 

oldmanjoe

;D   I`m betting you have a hot rod bay city now ..     :d
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

Glad to do it .
Great History you have on this Reel .
The posting and Pictures  was kinda Jicckey here for a while when I did this  so
I did a full pictorial on my site
https://oldreelcollectors.com/index.php/topic,271.msg676.html#msg676
Should be visible to all if not let me know and I will make it live .

gt2003

Thanks for sharing those Henry.

On the drag, you replaced it with a new one that appears to be a little thicker in diameter than the old, compressed one and you also replaced the cardboard piece under the main gear with a carbontex one.  Was that all you had to do to get the drag to be as strong as it is now?

Wompus Cat

The Drag that was in it was in  such bad shape and actually in pieces plus the Gear and Brass being Glazed over then the fiber or cardboard on the bottom was just not enough for anything to Grab onto ....lol\
If you look at the pics I actually Made a Thick composite drag . That and with polishing everything and putting the Carbon disc under the Sleeve will get you all the Drag you will ever need and SMOOOOTH ............

foakes

Great work, Henry!

Henry really knows his Ocean City stuff!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

gt2003

YES he does!

Thanks Henry.  That's what i thought i was seeing.  Just wanted to make sure.  Thank you again!

Paul Roberts