Violator V52 Tear Down

Started by JRD, November 02, 2016, 04:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I bought this reel used sight unseen.  Fished once a few small fish etc.  I got the reel, nice fit, nice finish, a little heavy and slightly bigger than I thought but still happy.  A quick inspection showed salt build up at the reel seat and around the handle.   Ugh.  Today's tear.down went well, only area of concern was where the shaft.goes through the handle the slightest corrosion had started. 

I can't figure how to post Picts like the big boys do so I will keep it brief.  HUGE stainless gear, shown with a jigmaster for comparison.  Stainless insides and the innards are shielded against salt water intrusion by the full size backing plate - there was salt water inside however.  Greased carbon fiber with alternating keyed and slotted washers.

Downside was every screw was bone dry, no grease to be found.  Greasing on frame and side plate non existent and it looked like the gear train was fully assembled before greasing leaving the area under the gear, dog assembly dry.  Stainless AR dog but plastic clicker pawl.

I like the real so much tho that I just bought a V40 as well.

JRD

More

JRD

More

mo65

Quote from: JRD on November 02, 2016, 04:38:09 PM
Downside was every screw was bone dry, no grease to be found. 

I'm a freshwater guy...so I use less grease than the saltwater guys...but I still always grease all screws. Great job making that one ready for action! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

Now we know what they look like!

Thanks
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

JRD

[/quote]

I'm a freshwater guy...so I use less grease than the saltwater guys...but I still always grease all screws. Great job making that one ready for action! 8)
[/quote]

I didn't leave all that on there, through out the tear down and re build I re brush it to pick up excess for other areas, but yes I Imagine it looks like alot if your not seeing white crusty salt eating away aluminum often 😃

JRD

Quote from: handi2 on November 02, 2016, 09:05:36 PM
Now we know what they look like!

Thanks

I also bought a V40 and the only difference really is the 40 has a stainless pinion, the 52 appears to be bronze but I didn't try a magnet on it. 

Tightlines667

Good looking reel.  Wonder how the drive shaft bearing will hold up over time.  Looks beefy, but may be subject to some saltwater intrusion?

Thanks for sharing your breakdown.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

Looks like an Albacore Special!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rancanfish

I'll bet it's lighter than an Alby Special?

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

JRD

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 03, 2016, 03:37:11 PM
I'll bet it's lighter than an Alby Special?

I'm not sure the weight but size wise between a jigmaster and 3/0.  For sure heavier than my 255 and lighter than a full conversion jigmaster. 

Rancanfish

Thanks for posting this up.  I'm pretty sure it will be lighter, at least than the original ABS's.

I think these new PG's are a bargain. Beefy, inexpensive and pretty nice looking set up.

Haven't heard any bad reviews either.

With your pre-service maintenance it will be nice for a long while.

If you get a chance, post up a pic side by side. Please and thank you.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

MarkT

This weighs 21.06 oz while a 540 is 24 oz so yes it's lighter.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Ron Jones

I don't get the even number drag disks, other than that it looks really sweet. I can see Alan Chui doing a versa drag bazillion pound drag gear set up on this one.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

JRD

Here is the V40 on the left, 255 then V52 with a Lee Pro / Tiburon 99 on top. ..