Light corrosion cleaner

Started by toddmanchu, November 04, 2016, 10:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toddmanchu

In the 70's when I worked at a tackle shop, there was this cleaner that we used to take off light green corrosion on chrome reel parts called "Poco marine cleaner" it was stuff that u brushed on, let sit for a few minutes, brushed with a tooth brush and then washed off with water. it really worked well for not too bad corrosion rash on chrome or aluminum. I have not found anything like it since. Any suggestions?

Bill B

Todd, I have been using Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner/Polish with good results.  Others have been using NevrDull automotive polish....for anything containing brass such as chrome plated brass a 50/50 white vinegar and water is great....general de-greasing Simple Green works well and I recently found a "purple" cleaner (but I do not remember the name) was far superior to Simple Green, my son bought it at an autoparts store....hope this helps....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

handi2

"Spotless Stainless" is a wet product I brush on my boats SS, let it sit, and wash off. This might work on reels too. It leaves a protective finish.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Cleaners that work well, for my type of reel restoring, repairing, and servicing operation:

There are many variations, many other products, but these have proven to be effective.

CHEAP WHITE VINEGAR -- this stops and halts Verdigris (green corrosion) and gets the green off.  What is left is sometimes down through the chrome into the under metal -- but the corrosion is stopped from continuing.  No product will bring back heavily pitted chrome -- but it will be fishable if cleaned and smoothed down.

ZEP PURPLE DEGREASER -- this is good for greasy metal parts such as chrome or bronze, brass, SS, etc.  NOT FOR ALUMINUM, POT METAL, or PAINTED PARTS.

SIMPLE GREEN -- good for general cleaning of parts where the purple may melt parts -- such as nylon, plastic, bakelite, aluminum, pot metals, graphites, etc..

LACQUER THINNER -- a small wide mouth jar of this is great for eating off caked on grease quickly, or evacuating grease from bearings.

DAWN DISH SOAP --  for those fragile parts that need special and gentle cleaning.

MINERAL SPIRITS -- used for an overnight soak to free up frozen screws and parts.

WD-40 -- used as a cleaner for a final spray-down after a reel is serviced and completed.  It removes excess grease, oil, and fingerprints.  Just spray on lightly and wipe down with a rag.  NEVER USED AS A LUBRICANT -- contrary to claims.  Just a good cleaner.

Generally have 2 or 3 wide mouth containers of various liquids in the ultrasonic cleaner at all times.  All can be cleaned at one time for 6 or 12 minutes -- rinsed in fresh water, dried, and done.

Use caution, especially with the purple or lacquer thinner -- use hand protection, strainers, just be careful...

This is just what works for me.

If I ever find a miracle product that is cheap and more effective -- I will use it.

For now, this works well.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.