More Quick Reels

Started by handi2, November 07, 2016, 08:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I've been getting more Quick reels in for service and repair. These 2 seem very unique to me. Probably not to Fred.

One is a Micro Lite trade reel.

The other is an ugly "Stationary Drum Reel".

Both reels are really cool in there design and engineering.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

More
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

This is the pinion gear and its bearings from the first reel pictured.

Check out the pinion bearing and its design. Hopefully Fred will explain why this type of "moving" bearing would be needed.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

I got onea those "ugly" Stationary Drum Baitcast Reels. It'sa 1954 model 250- slightly diffrent than that one.
Some great engineering and materials, as far as I can tell... Don't really like the drag set up, but since I joined this forum practically nonea the older drag system stuff is acceptable.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Robert Janssen

QuoteCheck out the pinion bearing and its design...

That is a self-aligning ball bearing, (invented by Sven Wingqvist, founder of SKF) a nicer type of bearing less sensitive to misalignment. Why they thought it would be needed there, idunno. Nice touch though.

foakes

Good work on figuring those Quicks out, Keith...

You are correct, even after working on thousands of Quicks -- the brutal and exact attention to engineering, tight tolerances, over-built components, and expensive materials -- never ceases to impress and amaze me.

The proof lies in the fact that we can still service, maintain, and fish these work horses after 40 -- 60 years.

What you have there is of course a D.A.M. Quick 265 Microlite -- rebadged with a Herters trade placard.

Circa 1960.

The bearing race should not be that loose, unless you popped the shield to evacuate and lube the bearing, although --

That is a self-aligning bearing -- I have never seen one of those in a Quick before -- may not be factory original -- I kind of doubt it -- not needed for this type of reel application.

The old Standard is one of the first spinners ever developed.  Started around 1937, factory destroyed during WWII, started production again around 1947 -- yours is Circa 1950, called a "Standard".

I do have all NOS parts for both of these reels -- with the exception of the crank part of the handle on the Standard.

The Standard takes (2) bail springs -- both a right and opposite wind left.  I have about 250 of each.  No one else in the world has these, that I know of.

If you need a bearing for the 265, I will send one East.

Working on a few reels this morning to get caught up on the back log.

A 265, 220N, Mitchell 410, Mitchell 304, old Shakes 1810 Spin-Wondereel, and a Penn 525 Mag with so much grease and oil inside -- that I thought the Exxon Valdez ran aground in my shop.

All required complete cleanings and disassembling, some new parts, and more.

Spool was missing on the 1810 -- but I had one.

The 410, 304, Shakes, and Mag 525 all came in a box as disassembled reels that would not go back together easily for the owner who wished to restore them.

The 265 is going to WV, the 220N Alaska, and the 4 coffee can reels to Georgia.

Then I am down to a back log of about 42 reels.

Just keep knocking them out one at a time.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Here are 10 organizer drawers just for the old D.A.M. Quick Standard Series -- most of these parts are New Old Stock that goes back to 1950.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

Thank you Fred for your knowledge.

For the Drum reel all I need is the cover screw. Don't send it now please. Just see if you have one.

Keith

The Quick Micro belongs to Pompano Joe. He brought it over with other cool reels for me to see.

Gulf Breeze, FL

mike1010

Nice reels, and one with a Herter's label no less.  My fishing career is absent the years from about 1970 to 2002, and I haven't seen or thought of the Herter's name since the first part.  Google uncovers the Herter's story, but I feel old.

foakes

Here it is, Keith --

Brand new German Silver cover screw, around 67 years old.

On these old screws, I generally use a plastic screwdriver used for working on electronics -- so as to not goober up the slot.  Or a very fine aluminum Penn wrench ground down to thin edge.

A little grease on the threads, and it goes in slick -- and stays there without fusing in place.

BTW -- that "SW68" on the side proves it was made just after the war by a few years.

Berlin was portioned into quadrants after the War by the Allies on the West -- and the Communists on the East.

In order to manufacture anything -- government permits and inspections were needed.

D.A.M. decided to just label their first reels after the war "SW68" -- which mean't the Southwest portion of Berlin, Area 68.

Eliminated a lot of red tape on their part when it came to exporting to the rest of the world.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

Your just "cool" Fred..!!

I still act like I'm 23 but I'm 63..!!
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

I wonder how they cut the slot on those old german silver screws.  If you look at it from the side it's not really a slot, but very narrow V-shaped groove.  A small modern screwdriver will only sit about half way down into the slot.  If you grind the end of the screwdriver to a knife-like edge it will seat itself much more firmly.
-steve

foakes

Oval curved head, beveled countersink, hollow ground screwdriver fits snug to the bottom of the slot.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Bryan Young

Those are some really nice and though out reel designs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D