Penn Fathom LD 2-Speed: Service Tutorial and First Look.

Started by johndtuttle, September 06, 2014, 12:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickman

Hola. Wrote about my 25nld2 on another thread. No free spool. Went through the tutorial again and saw that I could get at the drag washer fairly easily. Washer and everything around it was clean. I re greased it anyway and put lube around. When I put it back together the drag adjustment knob doesn't seem to catch soon enough to tighten before the adjustment should begin. The adjustment starts right away and then the drag is too tight and the knob isn't snug yet. What did I do?
Can't really tell yet about the free spool without it being together properly but it doesn't seem to have improved any! Won't be able to mess with it for a couple days....dentist visit tomorrow then looks like another hurricane to prep for.
Thanks

johndtuttle

You could have put together any number of things in the wrong order not the least of which the lever drag lever itself. If its not started at the right place during reassembly it will bind badly.

Mjg378

my 25Nld2 after the last trip I was playing around with the reel, ended up having a little trouble with the dogs not engaging every so often. Turning it into a knuckle buster.  I took it apart, found it was my fault. I put too much grease on the dogs. Over time, The grease had hardened, clean it up with now just a touch of grease.  Everything seems to be just fine now.  I went to set the drag, using it as a 40 pound reel.  Ramped up just fine 8lbs on its way to strike. Then 10 just about between that and strike.  13 at strike  even 16 at full. Marked all with stickies.  Great free spool   Question, I threw it to sunset and check it multiple times. It didn't go any higher than 16.  .  I am happy with it being at 16.  Just wondering if this was normal I might have seen 17 a time or two. Just curious, if there was anything else possibly I should look for.  Still very happy with reeel.
Mike G
Memphis Tn

Bill B

Mike I will have to check my 25nld2 in the morning. I suffer from CRS ( can't remember $#!%)  and not sure what my 3 yr old reel gives. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!